Honored Contributor

Re: Beecham House PBS

[ Edited ]

It's visually quite splendid, but I thought it was slow moving and not very compelling. I will stick with it for a while and see if it improves. I know I am looking forward to seeing Leo Suter (the adorable Young Stringer from Sanditon) as the younger, wilder Beecham brother. As for all these supposed 'Masterpieces' it sounds as though the only one coming back is the very tedious World on Fire, in which I had absolutely no interest. I watched two episodes and never went back.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Just watched my recording.  Love the setting, camera work but it comes across, to me , very amateurish acting wise.  Will continue watching but not up to usual standards - but different hope it improves.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

It's visually quite splendid, but I thought it was slow moving and not very compelling. I will stick with it for a while and see if it improves. I know I am looking forward to seeing Leo Suter (the adorable Young Stringer from Sanditon) as the younger, wilder Beecham brother. As for all these supposed 'Masterpieces' it sounds as though the only one coming back is the very tedious World on Fire, in which I had absolutely no interest. I watched two episodes and never went back.

____

Yes, thank you for figuring out Leo Suter. I would have never recognized him. His character was just shown at the very end as a "teaser" and will most likely be the focus in episode two.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is anyone still watching? I've stuck with it so far, but it's really not capturing my interest and am not sure I'll see it through. Like so many of the recent Masterpiece offerings, it's long on style but rather short on substance. Visually sumptuous but slow moving and rather short on compelling story telling.

Honored Contributor

I can't get into it.

I tried it again on another day as sometimes things hit me differently in a different mood, but I got nothing.

I also went to read some summaries to try to get more interest but didn't help.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Regular Contributor

I may be in the minority here but I'm really enjoying the show.  Since there is no Season 2, I had planned to skip it.  But with everything going on, I have time to watch lots of tv.  I decided that I'd watch.  I'm liking it

Respected Contributor

No second season?  I am really liking this show, visually it is beautiful and I like the storyline.  I hope they wrap this up at the end and do not leave us hanging with no finish.  

Respected Contributor

I loved the first episode and it really drew me in.  But after watching the second and third episodes, there is just something missing.  The scenery and costumes are so perfect.  It may be that there is just not a lot of chemistry between the actors????

I think Lesley Nicol is mis cast in her role, as much as I love her, I do not think she is believable.  

All of the "mystery" in the plot is also a bit distracting for me.  I like the suspense and the wondering who is who, but a little of that goes a long way.  

And I cannot understand why John Beecham is always in that long heavy coat.  They keep saying how hot it is there.  

I will probably continue to watch and see it through to the end.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I can't get into it.

I tried it again on another day as sometimes things hit me differently in a different mood, but I got nothing.

I also went to read some summaries to try to get more interest but didn't help.

That's pretty much where I am. For me, the show just misses. The screen is always busy, maybe too busy, there's that proverbial cast of thousands, and there's always something going on, but none of it's all that interesting. As noted by another poster, there's just something missing. 

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I loved the first episode and it really drew me in.  But after watching the second and third episodes, there is just something missing.  The scenery and costumes are so perfect.  It may be that there is just not a lot of chemistry between the actors????

I think Lesley Nicol is mis cast in her role, as much as I love her, I do not think she is believable.  

All of the "mystery" in the plot is also a bit distracting for me.  I like the suspense and the wondering who is who, but a little of that goes a long way.  

And I cannot understand why John Beecham is always in that long heavy coat.  They keep saying how hot it is there.  

I will probably continue to watch and see it through to the end.  

Agree, in a way, about Nichol. I'm not sure if she was miscast or if the role simply seems never to evolve, but then everything about this show seems to be moving very slowly. And honestly, is her companion going to wear that same yellow dress throughout the entire run. Most of the characters seem so stiff that if there is any chemistry among them, you'd be hard pressed to notice it. It also seems like maybe there are too many characters and not enough time to do anything with all of them. Like Sanditon, it seems to me that the concept had promise but the execution is lacking. Masterpiece has been putting out a lot of one season 'flops', it seems, and PBS has been buying them for broadcast. Perhaps they need to better consider what they opt to produce and to offer up.