Honored Contributor

A radically new perspective of one of Hollywood's greatest stars using words from an unpublished autobiography along with newly discovered personal footage to reveal the man behind the mask of subtle charm and suave. 

Showtime: Documentaries, Amazon Prime 

Honored Contributor

I think it was always known is a few circles. It just wasn't made public..

Honored Contributor

I've read gossip that he had a 'more than friendly' relationship with Randolph Scott.   

Honored Contributor

I think I saw that on TV awhile ago, if it's the same movie, it was very entertaining.Playing for the other team has been going on since the beginning of mankind. I'm glad people do not have to hide their preferences or who they are these days.

Super Contributor

The others are correct.  This is not new information, just not being made a big deal of.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Becoming Cary Grant

[ Edited ]

@GraceLady wrote:

The others are correct.  This is not new information, just not being made a big deal of.  

Film is about his childhood trauma and his search for wellness using LSD.

He speaks on his abandonment issues effecting his marriages nothing is mentioned concerning whether he was gay or bisexual. What always amazes me is the role parents play in their children's mental health, and Cary Grant's family dynamics highlights-alcoholic parents. CG brother tragically passed away from accident, Mother blamed herself. Film is well done. Made in 2015.

Honored Contributor

been on before

nothing new, but interesting 

Honored Contributor

Re: Becoming Cary Grant

[ Edited ]

Great points, @Sweet_Serenity, sounds good.  The "secrets" and traumas in his childhood had a lasting effect, esp. when his mother was taken away to a mental hospital and he was not told the real reason.

Another 'secret' that critic Pauline Kael and a few others have raised is the possibility that his father, Elias Leach, may have been Jewish, but this was not disclosed.  Others have disputed this, but it explains a few things, including Cary's lifelong interest in the welfare of the Jewish people. I wonder if they addressed that in the documentary.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

Decided rewatching this morning. Thank you, Do appreciate your insightful comments on this subject matter. Please continue sharing insights. 

Honored Contributor

Wow, @Sweet_Serenity and anyone else interested.  I found the original New Yorker article (which I later read in a collection of Pauline Kael's writings), her wonderful, seminal piece on Cary Grant,  "The Man from Dream City".  It's a fabulous read, and she lays out the whole episode about his mother's mental illness and hospitalization, and his father's probable Jewishness.   

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1975/07/14/the-man-from-dream-city