Honored Contributor

Barbra Streisand Recorded 'You'll Never Know' When She Was 13 Years Old

Because I love the 1943 hit song "You'll Never Know," I serendipitously discovered that in 1955 Barbra Streisand made a hauntingly beautiful recording of this golden tune at the tender age of 13.  It is phenomenal that so many characteristics of her sui generis voice are apparent as she is budding into young womanhood.   Streisand is definitely one for the ages.

Perhaps some of you already knew this, but I am insanely delighted by this lovely ditty.

Here is the recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVHlawFjf08

From Wikipedia:

• The song was the first number that Barbra Streisand ever recorded, in 1955 when she was 13 years old, first released in 1991 as the opening track of her four-disc Just for the Record box set. The same collection concludes with an orchestrated version sung as a duet by Streisand (at age 45, recorded April 21, 1988) with the voice of her younger self from that 1955 recording.

Respected Contributor

Re: Barbra Streisand Recorded 'You'll Never Know' When She Was 13 Years Old

@golding76  Thank you for posting. Amazing how you can hear her mature voice in her 13 year old self.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76   Thank you, that was phenomenal. What a voice she had at such a young age.  She has always been incredible.

Honored Contributor

Wow...that was amazing and 13 years old!  Barbara and Judy were naturally talented giants and this was obvious from a young age.  Thanks @golding76 

Honored Contributor

I liked it better by D i c k Haymes.

Honored Contributor

@golding76  Thankyou for sharing! Love Barbara! Did not know anything about this song. You hear the star quality in her voice even at 13. No one has a voice like Barbara...I wish she would come out of hiding and sing again. Of course she is married to that handsome hunk of a husband James Brolin....  so she sure has reason to hide out❤️❤️❤️D8FEE345-B67A-450B-827D-B7C0FA00D397.jpegCF1B1322-02A7-442C-94E5-D31D64490D08.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@golding76  Thanks for posting. Love Barbra. And her hunky husband.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Judaline,

I like the version by D i c k Haymes more, too.  His version stayed at the top of the charts (No. 1) for months in 1943.

Sniffing around about this song, I also learned that Alice Faye introduced it to the world in the film Hello, Frisco, Hello.  This pleased me because, as chance would have it, I saw Alice Faye and her hubby, Phil Harris, at the Beverly Hills Supper Club in Kentucky when I was in my teens.  They performed their club act.  I was visiting my first cousin and her husband in Cincinnati one summer, and they took me to dine at the supper club.

Somehow, learning that I saw Alice Faye, who introduced this song I adore, made my day.  I'm glad I'm easy to please.

D i c k Haymes version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgBWumm95gw

Honored Contributor

Barbra is in a category of her own, her voice unique and beautiful.  I happen to love Frank Sinatra's version of You'll Never Know, he too in a category of his own, his voice and style original.  If my emotions are stirred when listening to singers, they have done their job.  Streisand and Sinatra certainly define feeling in their music.

Honored Contributor

That's a little gem, @golding76 --  you are great at unearthing and curating those.   Wow, what control she had at only 13, the intuitive phrasing, the way she snapped out the lyrics with feeling.   A prodigious talent.