Honored Contributor

BORN TO BE BAD. JOAN FONTAINE, ZACHARY SCOTT TUESDAY 4:45 P.M. EASTERN TUESDAY TCM

4:45 p.m.--  "Born to be Bad". Joan Fontaine, Zachary Scott, Robert Ryan

Whew, this seems to be the week at TCM for gorgeous narcissistic or sociopathic dames to predominate!   Jean Simmons in "Angel Face" the other day, and Joan Fontaine in "Born to be Bad" and Jane Greer in "Out of the Past" on Tuesday.

Joan Fontaine is a deceptively silken charmer who moves in on a wealthy man who is already "taken",  darling Zachary Scott. He's great husband material, but Joan must also dally on the side with masterful Robert Ryan, who very much has her number, but is intrigued nonetheless...

Hugely entertaining "popcorn" melodrama, with climber Joan relentlessly scaling high society peaks (for as long as she can sustain the charade, of course...)

Honored Contributor

Re: BORN TO BE BAD. JOAN FONTAINE, ZACHARY SCOTT TUESDAY 4:45 P.M. EASTERN TUESDAY TCM

L love this movie. Because of censors so much is implied. Abd I have always liked Z.Scott.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

Re: BORN TO BE BAD. JOAN FONTAINE, ZACHARY SCOTT TUESDAY 4:45 P.M. EASTERN TUESDAY TCM

I meant to add her relationship w/Robert Ryan when I talked about censors.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

This sounds like a good one, Oznell !!  I mentioned in a former post about being at the Pierre Hotel at Manhattan many years ago having brunch and in walked Fontaine in her full length mink coat , hair pulled back , beautifully made up.  When she entered the room everyone knew a movie star had appeared.  The word movie star is thrown around today but  a true star like Fontaine (and many others) had the class and presentation of one! I know I am repeating myself and I apologize but Fontaine did leave a vivid picture in my mind.

I will DVR this one, thanks again for your descriptive lure to watch !!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I LOVE this movie - and OMG Robert Ryan!

Did anyone see the take-off Carol Burnett did - I think she called it "Raised to be Rotten" or something like that!  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

That is a fabulous story, @spiderw!   Joan was total glamour, what fun that you had an actual sighting...

Ha, ha, that rings a bell for me, @YorkieonmyPillow.  Only Burnett (and her talented cohorts) could pull off those hysterical Forties' movie parodies with such affectionate but devastating flair!

Honored Contributor

The heart thing-y isn't working again. I wanted to heart a couple of these posts.

Really a good movie. Boy, Joan was a pip in this, wasn't she? Anybody see her in "Ivy"? She was even worse. REALLY a good movie. 

We were watching The Locket the other night and Eddie said Lillian Fontaine appeared in the film-the mother of Joan and Olivia de Havilland. Very dignified lady. 

I don't remember but I must have seen the Burnett take off. I think I'll check you tube. Remember, "Rebecky"? So funny. Priceless, these take offs.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

4:45 p.m.--  "Born to be Bad". Joan Fontaine, Zachary Scott, Robert Ryan

Whew, this seems to be the week at TCM for gorgeous narcissistic or sociopathic dames to predominate!   Jean Simmons in "Angel Face" the other day, and Joan Fontaine in "Born to be Bad" and Jane Greer in "Out of the Past" on Tuesday.

Joan Fontaine is a deceptively silken charmer who moves in on a wealthy man who is already "taken",  darling Zachary Scott. He's great husband material, but Joan must also dally on the side with masterful Robert Ryan, who very much has her number, but is intrigued nonetheless...

Hugely entertaining "popcorn" melodrama, with climber Joan relentlessly scaling high society peaks (for as long as she can sustain the charade, of course...)

Loved this film.  Always amazed at how different Zachary Scott's character here is from his role as Monty in Mildred Pierce.

Honored Contributor

Me too, @vsm.  As a big Zachary Scott fan, I love to see him in this, and another major sympathetic role as a disillusioned husband in "The Unfaithful".  

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline  Yes, I remember "Rebecky" --- do you recall "Mildred FIERCE???" LOL! I loved that one, also......