Respected Contributor

BOOKS: need suggestions for Armchair Travel

A while back, I asked for names of novels dealing with obsession. (This is for a book group I'm in; we're going to do a year of categories--a person can read anything that fits the topic.)

Now we're having a little trouble with the category of Armchair Travel: novels that include great descriptions of scenery and the like.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Trusted Contributor

Re: BOOKS: need suggestions for Armchair Travel

Tales of a Female Nomad: Living Large in the World by Rita Golden Gelman -- this book is actually a travelogue (not fiction). Not sure if that makes a difference. It's a fascinating read.

Out of Africa by Isak Dinesan is also a memoir and a gorgeous story. 

I've not read any of the following, but the ones that spring to mind are Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mays; Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert; and A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle.  

If you're looking strictly for novels, I read The Vacationers last year by Emma Straub. It takes place in Mallorca.

Valued Contributor

Michael Palin's books are good especially if you enjoyed his PBS shows.  I am fascinated with Mt. Everest and one of the best books i have ever read is "Into Thin Air", the author is well known now but his name wont come to me. You feel like you are climbing that mountain & going through the storm. It will have you hanging onto your chair for dear life.  I also rented it from the library as an audio book when i had to make a long drive & the hours flew by!

Respected Contributor

Almost any James Michener novel.
Honored Contributor

I don't know if this is what you mean but Howard Fast wrote wonderful graphic historical novels.  I especially loved the ones "North and South" and the whole trilogy.  He describes everything so well.

One thing I will always remember is the way he described how the Washington, DC area was being fought.  I live miles within some very historic battlefields and when I drive around there I can still remember his descriptions of the war.

I'd never thought about the way some of these wars were fought.  He described how the women would make picnic baskets and sit and watch the battle (in some places).  A lot of it I have forgotten, but I really loved those books. 

Trusted Contributor

@mewsmomtoo wrote:

Michael Palin's books are good especially if you enjoyed his PBS shows.  I am fascinated with Mt. Everest and one of the best books i have ever read is "Into Thin Air", the author is well known now but his name wont come to me. You feel like you are climbing that mountain & going through the storm. It will have you hanging onto your chair for dear life.  I also rented it from the library as an audio book when i had to make a long drive & the hours flew by!

Jon Krakauer wrote Into Thin Air as well as Into the Wild, which is a very haunting story. He's written a couple of other books as well, but these are the only two I have read. Neither are novels, but very good stories...and very intense.

Respected Contributor

Oh, these are some excellent choices. I really appreciate the help I receive from this wonderful forum (which should be freestanding)!

Trusted Contributor

I read John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley this summer.  It was great, and my first non-fiction read by Steinbeck.  A perfect summer read.

10926224_387044058141004_5370148482419380414_n.jpg