Honored Contributor

Re: BOGEY / BACALL FILM FESTIVAL THURSDAY 12:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Thanks for the heads up. Will set my DVR. I've seen "Key Largo" multiple times. Love it! I've also seen "The Big Sleep" but not the other 2. 

Esteemed Contributor

To Have and Have not   movie of 1944

Slim ( Lauren Bacall )  says to  Steve ( Humphrey Bogart )

'If you want me, just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow."

Honored Contributor

@lil spot,   @GingerPeach 's  real life "Dark Passage" trek that she took with her Bacall cut-out in tow, and that she shared with us, was EPIC!  To me, one of the all-time highlights of the "TV and Movies" forum.   I'm not surprised that you remembered that!

@Mz imac and @skatting44 ,  agreed, an immortal quote from "To Have and Have Not"!    Hubby's weird favorite line, from the same film:

Walter Brennan:   "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?"   (?)

Re:  "Dark Passage", for those who haven't seen.   I definitely wouldn't say it's the best (superb set design apart), of the four shown.   But it's so romantic though -- Bacall's idealistic young artist is so loyal, and so taken with Bogey, and that final scene is so worth waiting for!   I also love Agnes Moorehead as "Madge",   the irritating, strident friend who plays a pivotal role in the plot-- she's fabulous. 

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@lil spot wrote:

@Oznell  Thank you for the heads up!!!!

@kaydee50   Dark Passage is a must. One of my favorites of Becall and Bogart.

I seem to remember, several years ago, someone on these blogs posted a pic of the road where the beginning was filmed. It was neat to see what it looked like many years later.

I too am a big fan of Key Largo. Even though I've seen it many times over, I'll will still watch it again.

@Mz iMac   I love, love that line and the look in her eyes!  Woman Wink  Another one of my many favorites!

That was me, @lil spot  A lovely road trip to be sure. From July 2018 

DSCN0249 (3).JPGDSCN0245a.JPG

I remember this!!!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@lil spot,   @GingerPeach 's  real life "Dark Passage" trek that she took with her Bacall cut-out in tow, and that she shared with us, was EPIC!  To me, one of the all-time highlights of the "TV and Movies" forum.   I'm not surprised that you remembered that!

@Mz imac and @skatting44 ,  agreed, an immortal quote from "To Have and Have Not"!    Hubby's weird favorite line, from the same film:

Re:  "Dark Passage", for those who haven't seen.   I definitely wouldn't say it's the best (superb set design apart), of the four shown.   But it's so romantic though -- Bacall's idealistic young artist is so loyal, and so taken with Bogey, and that final scene is so worth waiting for!   I also love Agnes Moorehead as "Madge",   the irritating, strident friend who plays a pivotal role in the plot-- she's fabulous. 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

Then she says something like, 'did you bite him back' or something and Brennan says, 'say, Harry, she's all right.' I don't think it was ever explained why Walter Brennan called him Harry when his name was Steve. lol I don't care. I could see this movie many times. Wait. I HAVE seen this movie many times.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @Judaline ,  so much of the dialog in that film was clever-- it's no wonder people remember all these lines...

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 

I really enjoy Agnes Moorehead in Dark Passage. Have you read the David Goodis book?  

Sometimes the sets and costumes interest me as much as anything else in a movie.  

About a decade-plus ago, an apartment in the Dark Passage building was available for a vacation rental via vrbo or similar service. It was decorated more traditionally but, still,  I was so disappointed I couldn't afford it when I was travelling  to San Francisco for the opera.  

My favourite scene in The Big Sleep is in the bookstore - I love when Bogart moves his glasses down his face and says "hmmmm?"

Honored Contributor

@trenet,  so good to "see" you, yay!   Have mightily missed your pungently original voice around the board.

I have not read any David Goodis at all, although have always heard good things about his noirish output.

I would have PAID just to tour that rental apt. you spoke of, wow.

That little "spectacles" business of Bogart was fun, agreed.   Also enjoyed Dorothy Malone, almost unrecognizable and playing against type... 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Ha, ha, @Judaline ,  so much of the dialog in that film was clever-- it's no wonder people remember all these lines...

I saw an interview with Lauren Bacall once re: The Big Sleep. She said it was full of double entendres. I guess so if it followed the book. I shouldn't say that since I haven't read it. Her French was delicious.