Honored Contributor

BETTE DAVIS STAR OF THE MONTH TCM WINDS UP TUESDAY TCM

Please see final schedule for all-day Bette Davis movies Tuesday:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-11-26

Some of her most-frequently aired are there, like her triumph, "All About Eve".   And one of my other favorites:

6:00 a.m. Eastern--  "Winter Meeting".     Established poet Bette reluctantly succumbs to her pal's (terrific character player John Hoyt) pleadings that she complete a foursome by dining out with him, his secretary, (dishy Janis Paige) and a recently returned war hero (Jim Davis) that he must entertain.

Boom-- both Bette and the war hero unexpectedly fall for each other.  What now?

Well-written, with superior art direction-- great sets and costuming-- and some punchy suprises.   So worth recording, or even getting up bleary eyed to watch, if you're a Bette fan!

Honored Contributor

Re: BETTE DAVIS STAR OF THE MONTH TCM WINDS UP TUESDAY TCM

Star of the month for December-- the earthy and adorable Joan Blondell!

Honored Contributor

Bette is in her own category, she rarely gave a performance which wasn't outstanding.  So many of her moves become favorites and  Winter Meetings is certainly up there.  I love the settings in that one!  Once in awhile an actor or actress comes along and lights up the screen with talent that draws you in.  I would say Bette had and still has many followers who appreciate her acting skills.

Joan Blondell is worth watching.  I love her in Desk Set!  I will check out her movies and get the DVR ready!  Thanks for the heads up and have a blessed Thanksgiving, Oznell.

Honored Contributor

Oh, you too, lovely @spiderw --  have a wonderful holiday!

Esteemed Contributor

DVR set! Happy Thanksgiving @Oznell  thanks to you I have great movies ready to watch. No football or parades for me. 🤣🦃👍

Honored Contributor

And you have a great Thanksgiving too, thoughtful @godi!  I'm right along with you, dialing up some of my best recordings for the long holiday weekend....

Honored Contributor

Will record The Star.  Just finished a short bio of BD.  She and Errol Flynn were seriously considered as leads for Gone with the Wind.  She had very little respect for Flynn who, IMO, was a prett good actor.

Frequent Contributor

@Oznell  I saw The Corn is Green for the first time -- another wonderful Davis performance!

And everyone -- don't miss Bette this afternoon in The Catered Affair!  She plays a Bronx housewife!  And very believably!  Debbie Reynolds is a triumph as her daughter in a rare dramatic role.

I wish you and all the people here a very safe, healthy, and happy Thanksgiving. 

Esteemed Contributor

A Catered Affair is also a favorite of mine.  What's funny is the poster, where Bette looks like Margo Channing.   Imagine the surprise of the audience when they first see her as Aggie!

bIMbBFluXStApIX1aULxoEv1FYoY5RBFVp5UZw2k7qFEEpMqGtBhLygFryE5nwHvQtt1AnC8OCmNDEzWev2RSQAYfyFhh64YEVuuSaiwI-0.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Payment On Demand.  How did I miss that one?  I'm watching it now and it's very go0d.  Barry Sullivan is in it along with Bette.  It's so nice to see an old movie for the first time.   Right now it appears that Barry wants to divorce Bette for another woman after years of marriage and her being the impetus of his great career.

ETA:   Ohhh, Bette was not a nice wife...very dominating.  Shocked that hubby isn't happy.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)