Honored Contributor

BETTE DAVIS ON "PERRY MASON" FETV

[ Edited ]

Edited to add--   Bette was on Perry Mason Tuesday afternoon.  But see below to find "Perry" shows to turn into a big marathon on Wednesday, January 20.

Screenshot_2021-01-19 The Case of Constant Doyle (1963).png

4:00 p.m. Eastern, Tuesday, FETV (323 on DirecTV)   "The Case of the Constant Doyle"   Raymond Burr, Bette Davis, William Hopper, Barbara Hale, Ray Collins, Michael Parks, Peggy Ann Garner, Neil Hamilton

That photo says it all to Bette fans!   Perry is unavailable, and so lawyer Bette partners with Della and Paul Drake and takes on the case of a sullen young man (Michael Parks) who knew her late husband.  The plot doesn't really matter, does it?   Bette is predictably great-- tough and self-assured as the defense attorney.  Bonuses are appearances by smoldering young Michael Parks, and former child star ("A Tree Grows in Brooklyn") Peggy Ann Garner...

I love that they drafted the great Bette Davis into this landmark series!

That "Before They Were Stars" Perry Mason fest that was on the other day, has given me an idea.  Not everyone gets FETV, not everyone gets METV, but since both channels carry multiple Perry Mason episodes per week, if you get at least one of the channels, you could record some and have your own marathon.

For example, if you want your festival to start right away, you could record or watch "The Case of the Constant Doyle" this afternoon.  You could plug in the other evening episodes too, check time slots below    Or, tomorrow, you could start fresh and between the two channels, you could watch or record 6 more episodes. 

Here's how Wednesday, January 20 looks for "Perry Mason":

METV (its 67 on my DirecTV system): 

9:00 a.m. Eastern--  "The Case of the Skeleton's Closet"  (This is a juicy one--  former wife of malicious, tell-all author tries to get him not to publish his outrageous book, for the sake of their children)  Has exceptional journeyman TV actors Peggy McCay and Frank Aletter.

Ok, now switch over to FETV:

4:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Case of the Golden Oranges"  Murder of land developer,  possible dog witness...

5:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Case of the Lawful Lazerus"  Perry hired to defend man declared legally dead.

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Case of the Velvet Claws"  Client blackmailed over scandalous photos.  Has Patricia Barry, as a manipulative seductress extraordinaire.  It's one of the few episodes where you get to see Perry a bit flustered, ha.

9:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Case of the Tandem Target"  Wealthy step-father is targeted when he won't give step-daughter inheritance b/c of dislike of her boyfriend.

Back to METV:

11:30 p.m. Eastern--  "The Case  of the Prudent Prosecutor"    District Attorney Burger asks Perry to defend a murder suspect who once saved his life.

A nice little roster for a lazy, leisurely day of quality TV.

perry-mason-stills-6.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: BETTE DAVIS ON "PERRY MASON" TUESDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN FETV

The Davis episode was on in the morning last week along with episodes where Walter Pidgeon, Hugh O'Brien and MIchael Rennie were the leads.  I guess Burr was ill for that period of time.

We, especially DH, watch Mason every week day morning on WE-TV.

Respected Contributor

Some of my favorite episodes of Perry are the ones that have Jeanne Cooper (Katherine Chancellor on Y&R) in the cast. Knowing that she was besties with Della (Barbara Hale) In "real life" makes their scenes together a delight to watch. Read more about it in Jeanne Cooper's book (a good read).

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50,  I think the episodes that utilized Hugh O'Brien and Michael Rennie were really good!  I was disappointed with the Walter Pidgeon (a personal favorite) one, since I don't think they made full use of his talents.  But, on the whole, they are a great showcase for guesting stars from old Hollywood, aren't they?

@silkyk,  me too!  Love her guest shots.  My favorite is the one where she plays the estranged wife of the guy who takes off in the company plane.  She plays the wife as very downbeat, rather enigmatic, and didn't make Perry's job very easy-- but she was really good.  I didn't know she and Barbara Hale were pals--  neat!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I do not think the episode w/BD was all that good.

The one w/Hugh O'Brian (sp?) was awful!

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I really wish I'd seen this one. Whether it was among the better episodes or not, it's always interesting to me to see Bette at work.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...