Honored Contributor

BETTE DAVIS FEST FRIDAY MORNING 9:00 A.M. EASTER

The minifest has our usual faves like "A Stolen Life" and "Deception",  but may I also suggest the lesser-seen "Payment on Demand" and "June Bride"?

9:00 a.m. Eastern--  "Payment on Demand"   Bette Davis, Barry Sullivan, Jane Cowl, Kent Taylor, Betty Lynn.

Comfortable, highly social Bette's world is shaken when lawyer-hubby (adorable Barry Sullivan) wants a divorce.  Bette must embark on a decidedly unsettling process of self-evaluation if she is to have any hope of winning him back...

4:30 p.m. Eastern--  "June Bride"   Bette Davis, Robert Montgomery, Fay Bainter, Betty Lynn, Tom Tully

Bette is a high-powered fashion editor (with the wardrobe to prove it), assigned to work with an old flame (impish Robert Montgomery) on a magazine feature about a small town wedding.  This is a comedy-- not necessarily Bette's forte-- but the pairing with witty Robert Montgomery is felicitous.  She's sardonic and emotionally guarded, he's effortlessly funny and mercurial (and underneath it all, interested in her.)

Here's TCM's full daytime schedule with Bette:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2020-05-29

Honored Contributor

Re: BETTE DAVIS FEST FRIDAY MORNING 9:00 A.M. EASTER

Payment On Demand is a goodie.  I can watch that one all day & night.

I also saw Deception on the schedule.  Great chemistry between Bette & Claude.  Another one I can watch all day & night.

I really don't care for BD "comedy."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the heads up! My dvr is locked and loaded! 

Super Contributor

OMG... I tried watching 2 of these, as I never saw them before. They were so awful!!!! Deception was almost the entire cast of Now Voyager! This was so boring, I couldn't get into it. Now, It's Love I'm After. The acting is so over the top, everyone is yelling at each other! I'm wondering... Would I feel this way, if I had seen them, way, way, back when? Are all of the 'classics' this way, but I didn't notice when I first saw them? I love Bette Davis, but not in these 2.

Respected Contributor

Two of my favorites:  June Bride and The Bride Came C.O.D.  Back to back...............love Davis and Cagney, together..............a perfect match!

Honored Contributor

@Tangocash  "Deception was almost the entire cast of Now Voyager!"

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Oh, yes, @Somertime ,  Cagney and Davis are so charming together in "The Bride Came C.O.D."--  I always wish they had done more together, esp. in their more mature years...

@Tangocash--  I never thought of "Deception" as being boring, with that terrific acting triangle and the great art direction!  I wouldn't be able to watch it now, because I've seen it too many times.  But the first time, was riveted!