Honored Contributor

BETTE DAVIS, CARY GRANT, OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND FLASH ALERT WEDNESDAY A.M. EASTERN TCM

Three films from the classic age, starring these three luminaries, make a great triple feature.

9:30 a.m. Eastern--  "Dangerous"   Bette Davis, Franchot Tone

Possibly my favorite of the "early" Davis films.  Her dissipated, fascinating, self-destructive theater performer draws in young architect Franchot Tone, even against his better judgment...   This is her Oscar-winning turn that some think was the consolation prize for her overlooked "Mildred" in "Of Human Bondage".   I think the mercurial performance stands on its own merits and is deserving of "Oscar".

11:00 a.m. Eastern--  "Suspicion"   Cary Grant, Joan Fontaine, Nigel Bruce

Hitchcock's thriller is familiar territory, but the innocent wife starting to doubt her adored but enigmatic husband is a compelling puzzle.  Superb production values and English country house yummyness.

12:45 p.m. Eastern--  "Princess O'Rourke"   Olivia de Havilland, Robert Cummings, Charles Coburn

olivia-de-havilland-robert-cummings-star-in-princess-orourke.png

Charming comedy/fantasy (pre-"Roman Holiday", with a similar premise) about a regular American guy (the underrated and adorable Robert Cummings) encountering a European princess (de Havilland), visiting the U.S.  The complications are predictable, but fun, in the hands of these skilled performers.

Trusted Contributor

Re: BETTE DAVIS, CARY GRANT, OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND FLASH ALERT WEDNESDAY A.M. EASTERN TCM

Sigh, I'm at work. Smiley Sad How I'd love to be home with a fresh pot of tea in my cozies to enjoy all three.

Honored Contributor

Re: BETTE DAVIS, CARY GRANT, OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND FLASH ALERT WEDNESDAY A.M. EASTERN TCM

Whew, @Oznell , I just read this in time. I've never seen Dangerous! Looking good. Got 'er recording at 9:30. Thanks

Honored Contributor

What an appropriate title for the movie, Dangerous. That was the beginning of the Bette Davis and Joan Crawford feud. At the time, Joan Crawford was married to Franchot Tone.

Joan Crawford happened to visit Franchot Tone in his dressing room while the movie was being shot. Well, apparently Bette Davis was "visiting" Franchot Tone in his dressing room as Joan Crawford came in.

Honored Contributor

Whoa, @drizzellla --  not a pretty scene!  But if it had been filmed, no doubt it would have been Oscar-worthy....

Honored Contributor

Love Bette in Human Bondage!  Every movie she did was Oscar worthy, she was just that great an actress.  I too think Cummings was not given his proper respect as an actor, I loved his TV show too.  

Thanks for the heads up for these three movies, I will DVR them and know when I am looking for something great to watch, I have these three goodies!!!!!!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the heads up Oznell!! As I was reading your post I looked up the schedule for tonight too.

"This Woman is Dangerous" with Joan Crawford and Dennis Morgan.

"Laura" with Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews. Gene Tierney is just stunning!

"All About Eve" with Bette Davis and Anne Baxter. Probably watched it at least 10 times but love it.

I'm getting my work done and will be sitting watching TCM tonight.

Honored Contributor

Fab, @catsgalore5354,  thanks for adding those stellar three to the line-up!

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

Love Bette in Human Bondage!  Every movie she did was Oscar worthy, she was just that great an actress.  I too think Cummings was not given his proper respect as an actor, I loved his TV show too.  

Thanks for the heads up for these three movies, I will DVR them and know when I am looking for something great to watch, I have these three goodies!!!!!!

Never missed it!!

Respected Contributor

I watched Suspicion today w/Cary Grant.  I think I'd seen it before, or at least parts of it.  The drive along the coast looked familiar to me.  But I am a little confused over the ending.  Obviously thru out the entire movie he was not on the up n up.  Was he telling the truth at the end?  Or was it another tall tale?  But why did he start to speed the car along the cliff so suddenly?  Or are we meant to wonder about it, that's what Hitchcock was after?  I don't think I've ever seen a bad Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing