Honored Contributor

BENJAMIN HALL, UKRAINE-WOUNDED REPORTER, GIVES UPDATE

benjamin-hall-150bd8c852684b8ab7b84edf7a2c4279.jpg

Benjamin Hall, Fox News war correspondent, before his life-changing injuries.

Benjamin Hall joined "Fox and Friends" this morning to discuss his progress, and his new book, "Saved".

He was the only one to survive, of a trio of journalists bombed in their vehicle in Ukraine last March.   Although he reported that he has no feet, only one eye that works, and other debilitating challenges, he feels great.  He had very low moments, but determined he would not give up.

After the blast, while he was hovering between life and death, he says he somehow heard the disembodied voice of his little daughter saying, "Daddy, get out of the car".   He obeyed, managed to crawl out, and credits that with saving his life.

He looks so well--  seems to have gained back some of the weight he drastically lost during his long ordeal.   Wishing continued recovery and all good things to this extremely brave man.   

Respected Contributor

Re: BENJAMIN HALL, UKRAINE-WOUNDED REPORTER, GIVES UPDATE

I was just wondering about him the other day. Sorry I missed the interview. Thanks for the update.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell , he looks great! His book comes out March 14th, available to pre order now. I'm going to read it. 

Honored Contributor

This is so sad.  This didn't have to happen.  We need to remedy the chaos in our country.  I am grateful this man survived and he is home.

Respected Contributor

I caught the tail end of the inerview. Glad he now home, but sorry for the loss of his friends that were with him.

Valued Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

This is so sad.  This didn't have to happen.  We need to remedy the chaos in our country.  I am grateful this man survived and he is home.

This happened in another country. A country at war. The man is a reporter and his job, which he chooses, is covering war.

Honored Contributor

He is a true hero, can't wait to read his book. We need more men and women like him who work hard to get the truth out. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

FOX

Benjamin Hall, who has insisted journalists must continue telling "stories from war" despite what he’s been through, was wounded when the vehicle he was traveling in was struck by incoming fire in Horenka, outside Kyiv. Beloved Fox News photojournalist Pierre Zakrzewski and Ukrainian journalist Oleksandra "Sasha" Kuvshynova were killed in the attack that devastated Fox News and the journalism industry at large. 

Hall’s upcoming memoir, "Saved: A War Reporter's Mission To Make It Home," will offer untold details of his journey. He read an emotional excerpt on air, describing how "everything went dark" as bombs went off around him. 

"If I had the slightest iota of consciousness, it was a distant sense of shock waves and the feeling that every part of my body – bones, organs, sinew, my soul – had been knocked out of me," Hall read. "I was all but dead but improbably, out of this crippling nothingness, a figure came through, and I heard a familiar voice, as real as anything I’d ever known. ‘Daddy, you’ve got to get out of the car.’" 

An emotional Hall then explained that seeing a vision of his three daughters gave him the strength to keep going. 

"I opened my eyes and managed to crawl out of the car," he said. "If it weren’t for them bringing me back, there is no way I would be here today."

Hall also credited Pierre Zakrzewski for saving his life.

"The two of us laid there for about 40 minutes, and talked, he passed away," Hall said. "The journey to continue was about me being saved."

"Saved: A War Reporters’ Mission To Make It Home" hits retailers on March 14 and is available for preorder.

"Saved: A War Reporters’ Mission To Make It Home" hits retailers on March 14 and is available for preorder. (HarperCollins Publishers)

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much for this, @Oznell . It's truly inspiring.

Valued Contributor

Thank you for the update @Oznell . I've wondered how he's been doing. It was good to see his smiling face. What an amazing/inspirational story he shared of how he heard his daughter calling out to him to get out of the car.

@Janey2 , if you google Fox News Benjamin Hall, the interview will come up. Or, you can go to Foxnewsdotcom and you'll see his interview on the far left side (scroll down a little).