Honored Contributor

Has anyone been watching Below Deck on Bravo? It has been my latest guilty pleasure.

Honored Contributor

OK, so for the past few days I've not been feeling well (thyroid), I go from couch to bed.  I've been laying in bed watching TV all day.  I caught up on Below Deck.

I just started watching the first episode of this season.  Even though I worked for British Wing Commanders (and Secretary), 1 Australian Wing Commander and 1 New Zealand Wing Commander, I CANNOT understand one single thing this new chef says!!

I'm about to go crazy.  His accent is so thick I see his lips moving and I don't know what he's saying!

Does anyone else have difficulty understanding the Chef?  Maybe it's me.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

OK, so for the past few days I've not been feeling well (thyroid), I go from couch to bed.  I've been laying in bed watching TV all day.  I caught up on Below Deck.

I just started watching the first episode of this season.  Even though I worked for British Wing Commanders (and Secretary), 1 Australian Wing Commander and 1 New Zealand Wing Commander, I CANNOT understand one single thing this new chef says!!

I'm about to go crazy.  His accent is so thick I see his lips moving and I don't know what he's saying!

Does anyone else have difficulty understanding the Chef?  Maybe it's me.

You are not alone. It is hard to understand the new chef. Seems he doesn't get along with Kate this season as shown in the previews. I actually like Kate. So glad Kat is gone!!

The chef from last season comes back. 

Respected Contributor

The new girl reporting to Kate is a hot mess. I keep trying to figure out is she is bi polar or just high on drugs. She seems manic. In the previews for later in the season, they show her undressing and jumps over board.

Valued Contributor

I have also become "hooked" on Below Deck.  I'm not sure I like this new cast though.  I prefer Ben to Leon, and I don't think they gave Logan much of a chance since he came in late last season.  I also noticed that in the first episode this season they didn't show the crew getting their tips at the end.  I like seeing how the guests react to the crew.  Time will tell if it is as good as last season.

Trusted Contributor

Oh you know these shows have to put a pot stirrer into group.....this girl is nuts and will add fire to to pot.   

Honored Contributor

I got so frustrated I stopped the DVR and deleted the show!  I'll try watching one more, if I feel like I'm losing my hearing, that's it.  I'm too old to be so frustrated listening to someone mumbling his words.  Do you think that's his problem?  Maybe he just talks too fast.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if this would be helpful to you or others, but I have found for some shows and some channels, especially the Premium Channels, my wireless headphones are invaluable.

I have severe tinnitis so I have trouble with sounds.  I think we've discussed this so I apologize for repetition.  But so many shows have music and these patterned noises thrown in, THEN there are people talking.

Well, I can only hear two things at a time - the ringing in my ears and ONE other thing.   So all that intrusion often makes it nearly impossible to hear the dialogue.

For shows and situations like that I use my wireless headphones.  The sound is great but it really makes the dialogue stand out so I hear what they're all saying like 200% better.

Valued Contributor

chickenbutt, Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for the tip about wireless headphones. I've lost a lot of my hearing in one ear, and have a terrible time hearing the dialogue on a lot of shows, especially if there is intrusive music in the background. I will definitely try the headphones for those shows.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I got so frustrated I stopped the DVR and deleted the show!  I'll try watching one more, if I feel like I'm losing my hearing, that's it.  I'm too old to be so frustrated listening to someone mumbling his words.  Do you think that's his problem?  Maybe he just talks too fast.

I up the volume when Leon talks otherwise he just mumbles. I get every other word. Hopefully he will be gone soon when Ben comes back as the chef.