Esteemed Contributor

Re: BELOW DECK THAILAND 2019

With reality TV, I have doubts as to what is reality and what is production driven and edited for entertainment but I have to go with what I see as a viewer.  I have a different take on Chef Kevin than some of you.  I don't care for him personally or professionally.  I've been totally underwhelmed with what he has prepared thus far.  Adrian, Ben and even Adam are far superior in my opinion. I think the guests haven't said anything because they are either drunk out of their minds (like this last charter) or kind....or both.  Kevin used canned crab or something for his seafood extravaganza that he failed to properly provision for.  He didn't have enough for one of his dishes and Captain Lee had to go without for that course.  I don't recall the other chef's procedures but I would always prepare enough to have a couple extra plates.  He was also rude when he just walked out on the mtg w/ Captain Lee.  Nope....I'm just not impressed with him so far.  I will admit that he keeps his kitchen spotless and that's a good thing. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am with you.  Kevin has messed up several times now, and takes zero responsibility.  He forgot to order proper seafood, then didn't prepare enough meals to feed the guests and the captain.  Captain was right - what if Brandy had managed to drag herself to dinner?  Then what?  If Kevin had stood up and said, my mistake, it won't happen again, then fine, but instead he pouts because someone actually dared to criticize him. 

Honored Contributor

I just cannot get into this season.  I half watch when it is on.  I don't really care for any of the crew except for Kate.  I'm even tired of the Captain Leeisms.    

Valued Contributor

Hi, Annie831.  I totally agree with you about Kevin.  It just seems ridiculous that he would leave Captain Lee without a main course.  Who does that???  It was just luck that Brandy didn't come to dinner.  

All in all, I don't find this group particularly interesting.  Thailand is certainly beautiful but too hot for me.

Respected Contributor

Am I the only one still watching this season?  I'm guessing the end is near for the season.  Looks like bad news for Rhylee next week, but she's been at odds w/the other deck hands since coming aboard. 

Kevin continues to run hot n cold in the galley.  He's not really wowing the guests w/exceptional food choices at service.  He seems to be an adequate chef and his presentations look nice, but he's missing the mark with guest preferences, etc...

Kates walk out didn't last very long.  All is forgiven by Captn Lee.  She is family to him.  (his words).  The guys are so creepy.  Ashton is a completely different person when he drinks.  He needs to stay away from alcohol.  Tanner is another creepy guy.  The way he dismissed Simone and she "seemed" OK w/that, was really telling.  He was just using her, and she was letting him.  Yuck.  And then Courtney is such a bore.  When she went on her date she was so miserable, and the two of them had the worst time, yet he came back for more.  I don't think she's all that.  I guess she has her moments but she is usually moping around appearing miserable because she has to work.

As far as the guests go, now Captn Lee has given up his room to accommodate a guest, because someone else doesn't want to share a room?  I wonder how scripted all this is with these guests?  The crew certainly doesn't hold back on their opinions of these people, and its usually not good.

Anyone watching?

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN   I'm still watching too.

I had high hopes for this season, but it has really been ho hum.  I was hoping Kate would have left for good.  I think all of the BD franchises need to get new chief stews.  This would have been the perfect opportunity....Captain Lee should have fired her for walking out.  I love how it is the chief stew and the bosun who are causing the issues.

There isn't one cast member that I really care about.  If any of them where to leave mid season, I'd be fine. 

There is no way that these guests are paying anything (including tip) to be on this show.  They would never have repeat guests.  After talking about the mafia man last season, they came back again this season.  Same with the people with the kids.  Why would anyone pay to come back after being talked about on television by the hired help. 

This week's guests seem nice, except for that one cousin who wouldn't share a room.  That had to be scripted.  Who goes on vacation and doesn't know what the room/sleeping arrangements are?.....nobody.  I'm not really liking the guest chef either, but I do think the food should be top notch on a ship like that.

Did you see there is going to be a new franchise, BD sailing or something like that?  Same concept but on a luxury sailboat instead of a yacht.  Yes, I'll watch.  I think I'm in for at least one more season....if it doesn't get better, I'm out.

Honored Contributor

I too am still hanging in there watching.

I agree that this crew is hard to like. Tanner is a user but Simone let him use her and seems fine with it.

Courtney is a miserable person. She complains constantly.

Rhylee and Ashton both have anger issues for sure.

Brian seems like a nice person

Kevin is very weird to me. He is an OK chef but he is a very odd person

Kate knows what she can get away with and goes with it. She does get special treatment and should be more pleasant and appreciative.

Capt Lee looks bored this season.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm still watching, but I'm one episode behind.   I agree with the early mentions of this chef.  I don't like him, either, personally or as a chef.  

Rhylee- I cannot stand her any more than I could stand her last time.   She's one of those people who acts like a jackhole and then blames everybody else of being what she is.   She is the kind of person who cannot seem to get along with anybody and she's volatile to boot.   I hope we don't see her in future seasons.

Ashton - he's ok when he's not drunk.  When he's Smashton he's horrid.

Honored Contributor

I'm still watching but I'm bored as well.  Kate has over stayed her welcome IMO.  She really thinks she is much better than she is and she does treat people horribly.  A few weeks back, she and Rhylee were on WWHL.  Captain Lee was tweeting during the show and wasn't too nice to Rhylee at all about her attitude and she wasn't too nice to him as the tweets were read.  Obviously no love lost between the 2 of them.  Apparently, Captain Lee has also come out and said that the males on the boat were jerks (he used a stronger word.) LOL

They all need to quit being allowed to go out and drink because nothing ever good comes from it.  Kate was almost as much to blame for all the mess as Ashton was.  

I have been seeing the previews from another BD that will take place on a sail boat.  

Valued Contributor

Hi, LipstickDiva......I am still watching but am a little bored.  I am sorry that Simone let Tanner use her that way.  He is very insensitive.  Kate is full of herself and never looks happy at all.

The Ashton/Smashton bit is ridiculous.  I never liked Rhylee.  She just seems to never want to do what she is told.......

Happy New Year!!!