Honored Contributor

Re: BARBARA STANWYCK SUSPENSE SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM

@Johnnyeager   I started to watch that movie and turned it off after maybe 15 minutes.  I like BS a lot but I thought she was a little too hysterical in that film.  Not my cup of tea.

Esteemed Contributor

I love the TCM film noir movies. I try to catch them every Sunday morning. The genre is so engrossing. I look forward to watching Barbara Stanwick. I don't think I've seen this film, but if I did I'll be happy to see it again. I watched Charade last night for the umpteenth time. Grant and Hepburn...nothing better.

Honored Contributor

Re: BARBARA STANWYCK SUSPENSE SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN/ SUNDAY 10 A.M. TCM

Gang, I'm going to guess that the book she's holding (I think), is the book that supposedly the George Sanders character wrote, that she and Gary Merrill track down to give them some clues.....

But good question, @Etoile308 ,  and very good, informed guesses, @Johnnyeager !

@Judaline,  I'm not surprised we are united on the subject of Gary Merrill!!   Oh, by the way, for Noir Alley, I usually only put the repeat 10:00 a.m. showing down in the body of the message.  If I try to stick it in the title of the thread, it sometimes gets too long and the system kicks it off.  But I will now edit and try to stick it up there as well and hope it stays!

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I saw it. It's OK. She does 'panic' good. All her movies where she rears her head back and bellows and shakes her head brings down the wrath of the almighty on you. That's how I remember her.

Sorry Wrong number, all the westerns she did, etc.

Maybe that's why I never liked her. Too dramatic. I am always conscious of the fact that she's acting. Good actors, well, you forget they're acting. Sorry Stanwyck lovers. I've just always felt that way. As for Christmas in Connecticut-she was perfect in that. So go figure?

Esteemed Contributor

The aspect of Stanwyck I admire most is her work ethic.  As we know she worked a great deal even as she aged in Hollywood, unlike a number of her peers.  

She was considered one of the best liked stars among studio crews.  She made a point of learning everyone's names and greeted them each morning. 

Her promptness is legendary.  Linda Evans said Stanwyck gave her this advice on The Big Valley set: "Audra, show up on time and learn your lines!"  (Stanwyck always called Evans by her character's name.)

Honored Contributor

Re: BARBARA STANWYCK SUSPENSE SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN/SUNDAY 10 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Oh, boy, as far as favorite Stanwyck performances, where to start?   "Double Indemnity",  "Executive Suite",  "Meet John Doe", "The Lady Eve" are often cited--  and they are all stellar...

I think she was fantastic as the bleak, disillusioned "Mae" in "Clash by Night",  who comes home to the California coast and gets swept into Robert Ryan's clutches.

I also love her nuanced performance as a shrewd newspaper reporter who will do almost anything for policeman hubby (Sterling Hayden),  including cynically romancing his boss (Raymond Burr, in another terrific performance)....   Edited to add-- I almost forgot to put the title of this one, it's "Crime of Passion"!

She did it all, from bleakest noir, to pathos, to frothy comedy...    No one like Stanwyck!

Honored Contributor

Re: BARBARA STANWYCK SUSPENSE SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN/SUNDAY 10 A.M. EASTERN TCM

So true about Stanwyck's work ethic and dedication, @Johnnyeager .   She was one of those stars who saw the films as a whole, collaborative production, and made no distinctions on how she treated others, a true egalitarian.

It's also quite interesting that Marilyn Monroe said that of all the older, established actresses, Stanwyck was the only one who showed kindness to her...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   Also, Baby Face, Ball of Fire, Remember the Night.  She was great in comedy as well as serious drama although I do agree with a previous poster that sometimes she went a bit overboard, IMO, Sorry, Wrong Number for instance.

Esteemed Contributor

raccrochez-c-est-une-erreur-sorry-wrong-number-1948_portrait_w858-1.jpgraccrochez-c-est-une-erreur-sorry-wrong-number-1948_portrait_w858-1.jpgSorry+Wrong+Number.jpgab440c3f68f41e0e89fc286f9e565d2a.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

So true about Stanwyck's work ethic and dedication, @Johnnyeager .   She was one of those stars who saw the films as a whole, collaborative production, and made no distinctions on how she treated others, a true egalitarian.

It's also quite interesting that Marilyn Monroe said that of all the older, established actresses, Stanwyck was the only one who showed kindness to her...

That's nice to know. She sounds like a really nice gal. I probably would have liked her alot. Just not her acting, lol. Reminds me of an actor I loved. But IRL he was a real kook-someone I could never like. But I still saw his movies and swooned. I am a very complex person.Woman Wink