Honored Contributor

BARBARA RUSH TIMES TWO "TONIGHT" (wee hours Friday) ME TV

Screenshot_2021-06-17 Lady on the Run (1975).jpg

FLASH ALERT!   (Wish I'd realized this earlier, but maybe a Barbara Rush fan or two will see this in time to record!)

Love her.  And coincidentally, MeTV is running, back to back, both a "Mannix" episode and then a "Cannon" episode-- in each of which she stars.  AND,  she plays a disillusioned, wealthy, runaway wife in both of them.  I always thought, wow, how strange, both episodes have some striking similarites...

She's terrific in both, of course, just as she was in a recent Fugitive two-parter.   Series television was lucky to get her!

2:00 a.m. Eastern--  Mannix  "Design for Dying"   Mike Connors, Gail Fisher, Barbara Rush, Dennis Patrick, Erica Hagen, Carmen Zapata, Ward Wood.   Watch for a future huge TV star in his own right, appearing in this in a tiny role!

3:00 a.m.  Cannon  "Lady on the Run"  William Conrad, Barbara Rush, Barbara Luna, Victor Mohica, Barry Atwater, Russell Johnson, Priscilla Morrill, Jean Hale

Honored Contributor

Re: BARBARA RUSH TIMES TWO "TONIGHT" (wee hours Friday) ME TV

I never watched Mannix; something more appealing must have been on at the same time.  Barbara Rush was a staple back then.  I am recording the Cannon episode.  Glad I saw thisSmiley Happy

Regular Contributor

@Oznell 

I happened to see Mannix (you know I never miss that show) and Cannon with Barbara Rush.  She's a good actress and the best crier in the business.  

Both shows were worth the mention....thanks for the picture.

Honored Contributor

@chloe4578,  our "Mannix" fan club, forever strong!  I so envy you your real-life encounter with adorable Mike Connors....

I recorded both episodes so some fun viewing ahead.  Goes without saying, I like William Conrad too. 

Have to admit, this season of "Mannix" is not my favorite.  What do you think? 

He is always great, no question, the consummate strong-but-affable private eye.  And love Peggy.  But I always feel the writing, as we get to the end of the series, is somewhat uneven.  Engrossing episodes like this Barbara Rush one, the Diana Hyland kidnap one, the Carol Lawrence/Paul Burke one, are welcome standouts for me amid some other lesser-rans....

"The best crier in the business"  --   ha, so true!

Very glad you checked in, and have a fun summer, @chloe4578

Contributor

She worked with two major film directors of the 1950s -- Douglas Sirk and Nicholas Ray -- thus securing her place in film history.

She is one of the five still-living actors who played Special Guest Villains on BATMAN.  The other four are Glynis Johns, John Astin, Joan Collins, and Julie Newmar.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   Barbara Rush was always a favorite, did you see her in The Young Philadelphians with Paul Newman? I can't think of any role she performed that I didn't like, always seemed so natural.

According to Wikipedia, she is 94 now.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I never watched Mannix; something more appealing must have been on at the same time.  Barbara Rush was a staple back then.  I am recording the Cannon episode.  Glad I saw thisSmiley Happy

More appealing than Mike Connors?  Surely, you jest!

Trusted Contributor

I always thought she was so beautiful.

Honored Contributor

When I can't sleep I sometimes watch Mannix and Cannon on MeTV.  I remember watching the two shows when they were first on TV and still enjoy them.  Barbara Rush was a staple back then as other posters have said, she was made for many TV shows and always stood out in her roles. The MeTV lineup during the night has some quality shows, I even watch Dragnet if I am up at that hour.   The Hitchcock hour is always a must for me.  

Regular Contributor

@Oznell  Don't envy me because I knew Mike Conners.  I knew a lot of actors.  They're just regular people doing regular things who happen to act for a living.  Thinking back, I met him years before at a fundraiser.  Completely forgot about that.  I watched Mannix way before I knew him.  Never mentioned Mannix, the show, just good conversation while his wife looked at jewelry.  

There was a very good one a few nights ago called Birds of Prey.  It was a two parter that took place in Mexico.  The thing about that show was Mannix thought logically, and was a regular guy, not with computers or high tech, a real old fashioned private eye.  When a show runs for 7 years there will be a point of no return.  Actors get tired and writers run out of stories.  I always said quit while you're ahead.  But I never got tired of that show.  In reruns, it still holds up.  I'll keep watching it.

As for Barbara Rush, what is there to say.  She was so popular, so classy.  She really had it all.   But I really remember her from the movies I watched on TCM. 

Wanted to mention that Mannix was failing in the ratings the first year.  They filmed at the Desilu Studios which Lucille Ball owned at the time.  She liked the show so she worked with Bruce Geller and made revisions the second season and the rest is history. Also I don't remember Diana Hyland being kidnapped in Mannix.  Thought she was kidnapped in The Fuge?  

Still watching The Fuge although I haven't written on the thread.  I'll be checking in more.  You too,  have a fun summer.