Esteemed Contributor

Re: Aziz Ansari Accused

[ Edited ]

@TenderMercies wrote:

Ansari released the following statement:

“In September of last year, I met a woman at a party. We exchanged numbers. We texted back and forth and eventually went on a date. We went out to dinner, and afterwards we ended up engaging in sexual activity, which by all indications was completely consensual.  The next day, I got a text from her saying that although ‘it may have seemed OK,’ upon further reflection, she felt uncomfortable. It was true that everything did seem OK to me, so when I heard that it was not the case for her, I was surprised and concerned. I took her words to heart and responded privately after taking the time to process what she had said. I continue to support the movement that is happening in our culture.  It is necessary and long overdue.”

And she still didn't confront him in a conversation but resorted to texting. Sorry, but on this one it is all on her. My God daughter got herself into a situation when she was 18. Her boyfriend was a year ahead of her, and she would visit him at his dorm in college. One thing led to another and she was suddenly having sex when she didn't want to and was confused that the guy she cared for was forcing it. I don't think he even knew she didn't want it. After that, she broke off the relationship which I am sure confused him. However, when she started college she got herself appointed to a board that studied and counseled people about date rape. She not only learned how she should have handled the whole thing, but she helped counsel others. She is a family therapist now, married and a mother of a son whom you can bet will be educated about it all.

Trusted Contributor

If I were Ansari, I would have this woman investigated.  For her to make the comment that "All you guys are alike" really tells me that she may have a history of going home with men and bringing them to the brink then shutting them down and making accusations.  There could be a long line of men out there who she's attempted to extort from or ruin.  I understand the importance of protecting the identities of victims of rape and sexual assault, but she is neither of those.  She's no victim at all.  The thing about the "Me Too" movement is that those women are brave enough to come forward and reveal themselves and their stories.  This woman is just a bitter coward who is using revenge p*rn to destroy someone who didn't want to be her boyfriend.  

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies I just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread and to everyone who has/will participate.  

When I first read the column, for me the red lights were blinding from the first paragraph but then again I am older and things were clearly different back in my day.  I started to read responses on Twitter and the comment sections wherever the article was posted and was more than surprised that so many were not supportive of the girl.  I feel bad for anyone that feels used after a given situation but any guy that tried to rush me through dinner and then up to his place on the first date would find himself alone in the elevator ride upstairs.

Thanks again to everyone!