Honored Contributor

Re: Ava Gardner Heads Up Nice Double Feature TCM 5:45 p.m. Eastern

SusieQ 2, it would never be a bore to hear your comments--  I love it when people share their reactions, and we get really cooking into a little "film seminar".

If you ever feel like posting them, I for one would love to hear them!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks Oznell, I like reading when people post their reactions too. Mine are nothing that interesting, just more of what some other posters already mentioned--like the beauty of Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly and how put together they all looked even while out on safari. Of course, that's Hollywood, but they were fun to watch. 

Like you, I was team Ava all the way, but Grace had a such contrasting presence. I think that's why the rivalry worked so well, though Ava was much nicer to Grace in the end. 

The scenery was so beautiful but all the animal death, even though I knew it wasn't real, was unsettling. I think it's because we know how animals have been hunted so seeing that, with the nets and the talk of taking the baby gorillas...so sad!

I thought it was weird how Grace & Gable fell "in love" so quickly. I had to remind myself it was a movie so get over it, lol. I was so happy when he ended up with Ava at the end.

Clark Gable movies are a little strange for me and the only other one I ever watched was Gone With the Wind. You know that question people ask "Who would play you in a movie?" For me, the person who would play my dad is Clark Gable. Not that my dad was as macho, or womanizing, but just something about the eyes, nose, and hair. He just reminds me so much of my dad that it's almost strange to watch him.  

I wonder if other people have actors they think of that way. I don't have a female actor that reminds me of my mom, though, so I'm at least halfway normal!

Sorry this was so long...I warned you! And again, thanks for recommending the movie. I know it's one of those I'll watch over again whenever I see it's on. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

SusieQ 2, I love hearing your comments and relate to them very much.

I could not watch the scenes with animals being hurt either-- had to click away briefly, and then click back.  I always have to do that, and hate when some scene gets "sprung" on me with no warning-- very disturbing.

How neat that Clark Gable reminds you of your Dad.  Clark had some fine aspects to his personality.  He was generally considered a "good guy" in Hollywood, and for me he certainly gives off that vibe.  He was livid when on Gone with the Wind they were treating the black actors differently, and he insisted that everyone be given the same perks and consideration.  And that was 1938-39, when stands like his were not always taken, to say the least.

My Dad had an eerie resemblance to the actor Robert Young, both as a young man and when he was older as the white haired "Marcus Welby".  People other than family commented on it.  Virtually every feature! Except my Dad had light brown hair, and I think Robert Young's was quite dark when he was a young man.

Hey, It's fun for both of us-- when ever these actors are onscreen, it's a little jolt of "recognition", as it were! 

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, the beloved dad from Father Knows Best among other things. He had such a warm presence. Thanks for posting about that.

That was interesting about Gable during Gone With The Wind too. I had no idea and it makes me like him even more!