Honored Contributor

Ava Gardner Heads Up Nice Double Feature TCM 5:45 p.m. Eastern

[ Edited ]

First:   "Mogambo" --  You've probably seen it as often as I have, but who can resist Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly both vying for Clark Gable!  Grace Kelly has kind of an insipid role here, married to a hearty Englishman but succumbing to Gable. 

I'm totally "Team Ava" in this one-- she's restless, funny, magnetic, street-smart and utterly beautiful, but vulnerable underneath.  Probably a lot like she was in real life, by all accounts.

Followed by "Harvey", in which Jimmy Stewart works his magic as Elwood P. Dowd, a tender and "emotionally shrewd" eccentric who turns a town on its ear.  Don't you LOVE Josephine Hull as his excitable, social climbing sister?  One of the funniest performances ever, and she was brilliant in "Arsenic and Old Lace" as well. 

I'm in love with old pro character actor Jesse White as the sanitarium's opportunistic, cigar-chomping orderly, too.  Hilarious movie but touching and thought-provoking as well.

All in all, a great holiday weekend double feature!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ava Gardner Heads Up Nice Double Feature TCM 5:45 p.m. Eastern

I have long thought she was an authentic beauty.  Not the run of the mill Hollywood blonde. 

I enjoy her in "Night of the Iguana" and others as well. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

I love Mogambo ....the outfits that Ava wears I could wear today ..

Classic...

And speaking of classic ... Clark Gable ....!!

Count me in ....

Honored Contributor

"Mogambo" is a good-looking and entertaining film, and I'll be watching for the umpteenth time.

Super Contributor

I've lost count ....but its great....

Honored Contributor

Big Joanie, that's funny, but I almost mentioned Ava's wardrobe in this too!  Even though they are on safari, she maintains this sporty-chic wardrobe and never looks less than sensational.  Classic simplicity suited her.

Super Contributor

The yellow twin set with the slim ankle pants ... perfection ....

Super Contributor

I also mentioned on another thread last night ... the clothes that Lana

Turner wore in " Imitation of Life " which was on last night ....

Can you tell I am a huge classic movie fan ....

Honored Contributor

Ben Mankiewicz just mentioned that in "Harvey", Josephine Hull did get an Oscar for playing Elwood P. Dowd's sister, the excitable "Veta".  So glad she was recognized for such a wonderful performance...

Esteemed Contributor

I was hesitant to bring this thread back up thinking someone may think it's happening today, but I wanted to thank @Oznell for posting this the other day.

I had never seen the movie Mogambo (yes, I was a Mogambo virgin!), but no more. I have a million things to say about it, but won't bore anyone with that. Just really wanted to say how much I enjoyed this oldie but goodie.

I've never seen Harvey either but missed that one because I went out after watching Mogambo. Hopefully I can catch it next time.