Esteemed Contributor

Re: Attn Netflix peeps-Price increase and a new plan you may want

[ Edited ]

@Dusty1 wrote:

@BirkiLady You have to have a Smart TV or Smart device.

Either a dvd player or a Ruku stick or some such.

@BirkiLady, Typically a streaming device such as Roku is installed by plugging into the HDMI ports that come on all newer TVs. If you have an older TV but want to subscribe to Netflix or Hulu (or any of the many streaming services available) you can buy either buy an adaptor and streaming device separately or purchase the "Roku Express Plus" which will come everything you need to stream to an older TV without HDMI ports. It must be the "Roku Express Plus" for it to include the necessary adapter and cables. I just Googled Roku Express Plus and saw that Walmart sells it for $34.99.

eta ~ after reading this I realized that since you said you were consdering a new TV I thought you had an older TV without HMDI ports. If your current TV has the HDMI ports on it then you wouldn't need an adapter. The adapter is only necesary for TVs without the ports.

It's a bit more than just plugging it in. You will also need to pair up the remote and be able to connect the device to your wifi network but regardless, whichever you need, set up is easy

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Wishmoon: Do you need a smart TV to have Netflex or Hulu? I'm about to purchase a new TV and trying to decide if I really need the "extras." Not that big of a TV watcher; the news and PBS. Too busy with life or prefer a good book!

@BirkiLady I use Chromecast and my TV is about 7-10 years old.  No extras needed.  Not sure what it costs nowadays but it was about $30 and just plugs in the back of your TV like a USB does with a computer. Super easy if you want it on a TV and not on a device.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

I love Netflix.  I don't have the streaming option I have the old fashioned DVD by mail option.  It is $8 something a month.  I enjoy getting some of the TV series on the premium channels to binge watch also.  I also check movies out at the library but there is usually a long waiting list there but they are free.  

I still have the DVD option too, except I get 2 at a time (occasionally they allow 3) for $12 a month, I think.  I definitely could downsize that though.  I probably should switch to streaming but I remember a friend telling me that more is available on DVD, that a lot of things aren't available streaming.  Is that true?  Also, Netflix indicates "HD and Ultra HD availability subject to your Internet service and device capabilities".  I have an HD TV however, I do have pretty basic internet service and don't know how good their streaming capabilities would be...

Not sure I want to switch now if the difference is $10.99 vs $12 but I guess I can think about it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have the lowest of both the DVD and streaming plans.  Like @Laura14, I didn't realize I was signed up for two screens until one day I was poking around, changing the DVD plan.*  So I changed the streaming plan too. 

*When I watch a series available only on DVD, I bump up my plan so I can get the DVD's in quick succession.  Otherwise I'm two a month, one at a time.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

When I was in rehab with my two new knees my son-in-law downloaded it onto my IPAD.  I have no idea how he did it.

It just was there along with several other things.  I guess he's paying for it.  Is that possible that he's paying for mine and his?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sister has it and pays for it. We just use hers. @Annabellethecat66

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ Yes, that's probably what it is.  I just click on the word and it appears.  Ha!  I'm all about easy.

Look!  What I do know is that I was in rehab (I always have say 'for my knees') as per my daughter because she said people are going to think you were on drugs or an alcoholic...where was I?  Oh!  OK!  So in rehab I had a TV with cable but it seemed like those rehab people were always coming in to take me to the 'workout room'....because well...that's what they're supposed to do...Ha!

However, it kept me from my TV viewing so I knew I'd set my DVR up to copy all my shows (can I say) it worked great.....but while in rehab I watched all seasons of THE WIRE!  I watched it while it was on TV but wanted to see it again.

It helped me keep what little bit of sanity I still have....I thought I was going to go crazy til I got home.  Just missed my home and 'stuff'.  I still ordered QVC...hummm???