Honored Contributor

Are you still watching? I'm very much interested and admiring the scenery, clothes, cars-most everything. The Crown Princess is very attractive and she and her DH make a handsome couple-seem very much in love, too. I'm wondering if Pearl Harbor is about to happen as I'm not certain what year they are portraying right now. Probably didn't happen yet as we aren't at war, yet. I find myself still thinking about it after just watching. Maybe it's just nostalgia but I still really like the show. Must have cost a ton to make it!

Esteemed Contributor

The German invaded Norway in 1940 so Princess Marthe came to USA sometime that year, prior to Pearl Harbor ( Dec 1941) when US entered the war.

Honored Contributor

I am definitely watching and enjoying every episode.  It is a well done story line, great acting as always on Masterpiece, and the settings excellent.  I wasn't familiar with the part Norway played in WWII so this is also a learning lesson.  Masterpiece Theater is always the highlight of my TV programs and this series fits in.

Super Contributor

I've been watching this since the beginning. I even got to listen online to a zoom meeting on April 18th between the actors portraying the Crown Princess and FDR as well as the writers and others which was quite interesting.  Actual writing and researching for this took place during the last nine to ten years.  There really wasn't much available about the Crown Princess that is accessible to the public.  If you look at the PBS website, you can find out more on this show.  Each week I get an email about what is truth and what is fiction (with a little truth sometimes) in the show.  Sadly, the Crown Princess died of cancer before her husband became king. Their son is now the King in Norway.  The acting is superb in my opinion, far surpassing what I see on "regular" television. 

Honored Contributor

inStitches49

Thanks for the information, I love learning and as the saying goes you are never too old to learn, so true.

Also I agree 100% with your last sentence about the acting being superb and surpassing what is on regular TV.  No matter what the series may be about or how good it is or not, the acting always delivers!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@InStitches49 wrote:

I've been watching this since the beginning. I even got to listen online to a zoom meeting on April 18th between the actors portraying the Crown Princess and FDR as well as the writers and others which was quite interesting.  Actual writing and researching for this took place during the last nine to ten years.  There really wasn't much available about the Crown Princess that is accessible to the public.  If you look at the PBS website, you can find out more on this show.  Each week I get an email about what is truth and what is fiction (with a little truth sometimes) in the show.  Sadly, the Crown Princess died of cancer before her husband became king. Their son is now the King in Norway.  The acting is superb in my opinion, far surpassing what I see on "regular" television. 

That dear little boy with the longish hair is now KING? I wonder if they watched???

Honored Contributor

@Judaline  The show was shown in Norway as well as Europe in 2020.   I am sure the current King of Norway & family watched it.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I have watched four episodes and from a historical aspect it's very good. But it seems a little slow to me so I'll  pick it up and watch the rest at another time.

I did wonder if FDR really drove the car and looked it up. It's true, he used hand controls

Super Contributor

Judaline, 

Yes, according to the information I found online Harald V is the present King of Norway.  He was born in 1937 so he's 84 years old. He is a great-great grandson of Queen Victoria of England and also a second cousin to Queen Elizabeth.  (Royalty in Europe and England have often been related in the past.  Some of today's younger generation seem to be breaking that tradition now.)  From what I've read I believe he is not a constitutional monarch anymore but just a figure of the monarchy.  

Respected Contributor

Yes!  It's a little slow sometimes, but I am really enjoying learning about this segment of history.  My husband is even watching it with me.