Honored Contributor

@sunshine45  Ummmm, that is really strange.  The PBS does not ask me anything.  Did you go to YOUR local PBS station's website?

I wonder if it's a regional thing.  I am in the tri-area Philly, Jersey & Deleware.  PBS station WHYY, all episodes are FREE to view & download.  If you are not in the NE go to YOUR local PBS site to view the episodes.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@sunshine45  Ummmm, that is really strange.  The PBS does not ask me anything.  Did you go to YOUR local PBS station's website?

I wonder if it's a regional thing.  I am in the tri-area Philly, Jersey & Deleware.  PBS station WHYY, all episodes are FREE to view & download.  If you are not in the NE go to YOUR local PBS site to view the episodes.

@Mz iMac 

that is what i got from going to MPT (what i posted above).....maryland public television. it tells me to sign in OR to get a MPT passport. maybe it is regional for online viewing? i cannot watch that episode for free online via my computer. i also checked WETA (the DC public television station.)

even checked out WHYY......

WHYYPassport

This video is only available in WHYY Passport.

WHYY Passport is an added membership benefit that provides extended access to quality PBS streaming video.Learn More. BECOME A MEMBER or SIGN IN.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Re: Atlantic Crossing

[ Edited ]

Maybe it's just another way to raise money from folks who wouldn't otherwise donate.

In the DC area - including MD and Northern VA, you can watch - and record - any show that they are airing for free, but you can't watch past shows if they are not currently airing them (that's when you can use Passport - IF you contribute $ 5 per month or $60 per year). With Passport, you can also watch the entire series - including future shows.  I watched Atlantic Crossing in 2 sittings.  I do like that feature.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I made a significant donation last year and all I received was a voice message thanking me... That's fine. I didn't necessarily donate to receive anything in return, but it did rankle when my inquiry about some of the 'advertised' perks for contributers went unresponded to. This year, based on what I've considered programming that's largely been unworthy and on what seems to be an inordinate number of pledge drives, I've opted not to donate. Frankly, I don't see where funds generated over the past year(s) have been put to good use, and no, I'm not 'buying' Passport on their terms.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I made a significant donation last year and all I received was a voice message thanking me... That's fine. I didn't necessarily donate to receive anything in return, but it did rankle when my inquiry about some of the 'advertsied' perks for contributers went unresponded to. This year, based on what I've considered programming that's largely been unworthy and on what seems to be an inordinate number of pledge drives, I've opted not to donate. Frankly, I don't see where funds generated over the past year(s) have been put to good use, and no, I'm not 'buying' Passport on their terms.

Their "customer service" leaves a lot to be desired.  I also made a significant contribution the last couple of years.  I had to find out about Passport from a relative.  Then it was not particularly user friendly at first.  I didn't realize I needed the app to cast to the TV - I thought I could do it from the website - and there was no explanation on the site at the time that the app was required.

Then while they advertised that it worked with Chromecast, at first some of the shows did and some didn't.  When I emailed them, I got a respose that said it didn't work with Chromecast and I should try something else.  When I responded with their statement on the website that it did work with Chromecase, they said - well sometimes it does, try again.

It seems to be working well now - don't know if my complaint triggered any improvement, but whatever.  I am not particularly impressed with their attitude, but I do like some of the shows.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Maybe it's just another way to raise money from folks who wouldn't otherwise donate.

In the DC area - including MD and Northern VA, you can watch - and record - any show that they are airing for free, but you can't watch past shows if they are not currently airing them (that's when you can use Passport - IF you contribute $ 5 per month or $60 per year). With Passport, you can also watch the entire series - including future shows.  I watched Atlantic Crossing in 2 sittings.  I do like that feature.

@Isobel Archer 

thank you for letting me know that i am NOT going crazy. Smiley Wink

i did notice that WETA will be repeating episode 1 in a few weeks, so i have it set to record.....and hopefully the other ones she has missed.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As long as one isn't in a hurry to see a particular show or series, you can always count on PBS rebroadcasting pretty much everything, often over and over again... Many of their offerings are literally decades old and have been shown ad nauseum... Some of them deserve to be rebroadcast, but lately, the pickings seem quite slim in my area...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb   Yes they reair - but sometimes in no particular order.  have you tried watching A Place to Call Home for example?  It's several seasons and they might show Season 2 ep 5 today and Season 1 ep 3 next week.

That one I watched in full on Netflix.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer  A Place to Call Home had many seasons... I thoroughly enjoyed it, though I've not seen the last few seasons in their entirety... They've been on but I missed some of them...  Occasionally, one of the stations will run it sequentially, but yes, there are times when they need an hour 'filler' here or there and aren't particular about what they use... A shame, really... I'd come to expect better that that from PBS... Then again, I'd come to expect better programming than I've been seeing for the past year or so... I do so wish they'd use some of the funds they generate with what seem to be their increasingly frequent pledge drives to purchase more recent seasons of quality shows that have proven popular... I'd also like to see them cede some of the more 'public access' types of programming to, well, actual public access stations...

Honored Contributor

This tells us what's fact and what's fiction. Also some authentic pics.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/atlantic-crossing-fact-or-fiction-inside-episod...