Respected Contributor

I don't know how accurate this all is, but I found it so extremely sad that the couple serving the Crown Prince and Princess left their own children behind to face the Germans in order to help the Royal family escape.  And there was that scene where the Germans not only shot the dog but tortured the staff to find out where the royal couple had gone.  So who knows what happened to those children (I've only seen the first two episodes so maybe I'll find out.)

Then it was interesting that the Crown Princess - and the King - did not want the Crown Prince to fight - or even to oversee the resistance to the Germans.  Oh no, his safety was paramount.

Then we have the King of Sweden (uncle to the crown princess) who puts his concerns that Germany will attack over the safety of his niece.

Not exactly great moral role models. But then who knows what any of us would do in their shoes.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I take it back, I gather this is being shown in my area but it seems they haven't been promoting it at all. I'll catch the next episode, but it doesn't appear there are any repeats of the first episode. PBS really overdoes the WW2 dramas, so not sure if I'll stick with it or not. There have been so many. I tried World on Fire when it first aired and didn't even last for a single episode. It might be worthwhile, as noted, I've just become saturated with their programming on the subject.

This is a little different. Seen/told from a different angle. I don't know if it's  authentic but it's a story I've not known about before. Interesting, beautifully done for sure, and I look forward to her coming to America. The children-I don't know how she'll cope. They both seem to love their children and are good parents. I guess it can be compared to all those British parents who put their children on trains to get out of harm's way, but some never saw them again. I think most of the kids chose to stay with the American families who took them in. Tragic, but how brave those parents were. But the more I think about it, if she gets away, why couldn't the kids get away with her? 

Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I take it back, I gather this is being shown in my area but it seems they haven't been promoting it at all. I'll catch the next episode, but it doesn't appear there are any repeats of the first episode. PBS really overdoes the WW2 dramas, so not sure if I'll stick with it or not. There have been so many. I tried World on Fire when it first aired and didn't even last for a single episode. It might be worthwhile, as noted, I've just become saturated with their programming on the subject.

This is a little different. Seen/told from a different angle. I don't know if it's  authentic but it's a story I've not known about before. Interesting, beautifully done for sure, and I look forward to her coming to America. The children-I don't know how she'll cope. They both seem to love their children and are good parents. I guess it can be compared to all those British parents who put their children on trains to get out of harm's way, but some never saw them again. I think most of the kids chose to stay with the American families who took them in. Tragic, but how brave those parents were. But the more I think about it, if she gets away, why couldn't the kids get away with her? 

I thought her kids did go with her - unlike the children of the couple who served the royals who left their children in Norway to deal with the Germans on their own.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb  "it doesn't appear there are any repeats of the first episode."

Did you check On Demand?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@stevieb  "it doesn't appear there are any repeats of the first episode."

Did you check On Demand?

@Mz iMac  Not yet but I will. Odd they aren't repeating it and they don't seem to be promoting it. I heard about it here.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I think Atlantic Crossing is very well done.  Unlike other commentators, I will take all the WWII programs they offer, both theaters.  I was born in 1943 and surprisingly in the early 1960s schools barely covered the war ( Pearl Harbor, Dunkirk and V days).  They didn't even cover the Holocaust ( and I went to one of the best school systems in the country and 75% of my classmates were Jewish). A parent ( who may have been a survivor ) took my entire 9th grade class into cafeteria and showed us The Nuremburg Trials ( not Judgement at Nuremburg ) with the proviso that we could leave if seeing all the atrocities became too much.  That was a pivotal point in my Education.  I recently found her son, my classmate, on FB and intend to write to him about how important I found his Mother's presentation to be.  I've lived in Europe and Okinawa and find WWII fascinating.  I have also read numerous books and Queen Marthe is mentioned in several of them.

Respected Contributor

As to previous episodes - if you support PBS, you can binge watch all of them on Passpsort.

Honored Contributor

What I've noticed is that they play the previous episode before the next episode in case you missed it.

I have 100 PBS stations here in the DC area, so I never know which one I'm watching at any given time.  LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I found this very interesting and quite well done, especially as I knew little about this part of Norwegian history. 

It made me recall this book I read in elementary school. Inspired by real events,  Norwegian children used sleds to aid in transporting Norwegian gold past the Nazis.  It's been in print for many years; wonder if anyone else recalls it?

51sLVTSdcdL._AC_SY1000_.jpg4374d4cac3c79194393f3c3585ba6881.jpg

Honored Contributor

Last night's episode was really great.  A little more English this time around.  But incredibly riveting.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN