Esteemed Contributor

Re: Aretha Franklin's family wasn't consulted on the National Geographic project

@stevieb wrote:

When doing a biopic, one might posit that when a producer wants the family's input, help and support, they involve the family... One might even assume that regardless of any input being pursued or not pursued they might communicate with the family as a 'nicety'... That said, I suspect there's no actual obligation on the part of the production team or the actors to involve family at any level...

Yep.  Well aware of that too.  There have been unofficial biopics about many characters.  However, how does it benefit the viewing public?  If the family isn't consulted, how do we know we are getting a true depiction of what is supposed to be biographical @stevieb .

Furthermore, no one has to take a role.  Casting calls are rare nowadays. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Re: Aretha Franklin's family wasn't consulted on the National Geographic project

I watched the first episode. Since I didn't know the star before this program, I find nothing wrong with the job she is doing as Aretha. Again, it is only the first episode.

I don't feel any production company has to consult with the family to have a show done about someone. Yes, it would be nice, but all the films, documentaries, etc., on Diana, Princes of Wales, surely didn't consult with the Spencer or Royal family, and I don't see the uproar over that.

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

I watched the first episode. Since I didn't know the star before this program, I find nothing wrong with the job she is doing as Aretha. Again, it is only the first episode.

I don't feel any production company has to consult with the family to have a show done about someone. Yes, it would be nice, but all the films, documentaries, etc., on Diana, Princes of Wales, surely didn't consult with the Spencer or Royal family, and I don't see the uproar over that.

@World Traveler  Of course, they don't "have to."  It would be nice for the viewing public though.  We all know people write unofficial biographies of others ~ doesn't make it right or wrong.  It's best for viewers, imo if a viewer is interested enough in a more factual depiction of the character.  This is an opinion.

I still don't like Cynthia Erivo though. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like Cynthia Erivo and I have never liked her since I became aware of her.  So what is wrong with that?  Nothing.

That won't change because a few people who are more inclined to like her (for whatever reason) do.  Got nothing to do with my tastes.

I won't be explaining why I don't like her either.  I don't have to.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Looks like this is a complicated issue.

National Geographic states they "...obtained approval to move forward with the program from Aretha Franklin’s estate..."

Here's one of their statements:

""The studio worked diligently to attain the endorsement of Aretha’s estate, which we are grateful to have,” the statement noted.

“We worked with many people who knew Ms. Franklin — from Clive Davis to members of her family’s estate — to make sure we told her story in an honest and authentic way.

This series is called Genius — it is a tribute to Aretha’s genius — something we hope we can all celebrate.”"

Later on the family member, Sabrina Garrett-Owens, who represented the estate stepped down, and perhaps this is part of the controversy? 

Aretha's son, Kecalf Franklin, "...conceded that the situation may have resulted from some “unfortunate” miscommunication around the time of Garrett-Owens’ exit from the Franklin estate, but contended there was “something to be learned from” the experience...

I took these quotes from the LA Times article,

"Aretha Franklin’s family doesn’t approve of ‘Genius’ series: ‘This movie has to go!’" and there are many other articles discussing the prior approval by the estate vs the new concerns expressed by some of the family.

I'm just now reading about this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.  I hope they get it sorted out, and hope both productions are honorable tributes to the magnificently talented Aretha Franklin.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

When doing a biopic, one might posit that when a producer wants the family's input, help and support, they involve the family... One might even assume that regardless of any input being pursued or not pursued they might communicate with the family as a 'nicety'... That said, I suspect there's no actual obligation on the part of the production team or the actors to involve family at any level...

Yep.  Well aware of that too.  There have been unofficial biopics about many characters.  However, how does it benefit the viewing public?  If the family isn't consulted, how do we know we are getting a true depiction of what is supposed to be biographical @stevieb .

@gertrudecloset 

even if the family AND aretha were involved, i am not always sure we get the "real picture" of what happened in the past. as we know, there may be "differing opinions" on how she handled certain events and decisions in her life. we see one side of the story generally and not the whole story.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

Looks like this is a complicated issue.

National Geographic states they "...obtained approval to move forward with the program from Aretha Franklin’s estate..."

Here's one of their statements:

""The studio worked diligently to attain the endorsement of Aretha’s estate, which we are grateful to have,” the statement noted.

“We worked with many people who knew Ms. Franklin — from Clive Davis to members of her family’s estate — to make sure we told her story in an honest and authentic way.

This series is called Genius — it is a tribute to Aretha’s genius — something we hope we can all celebrate.”"

Later on the family member, Sabrina Garrett-Owens, who represented the estate stepped down, and perhaps this is part of the controversy? 

Aretha's son, Kecalf Franklin, "...conceded that the situation may have resulted from some “unfortunate” miscommunication around the time of Garrett-Owens’ exit from the Franklin estate, but contended there was “something to be learned from” the experience...

I took these quotes from the LA Times article,

"Aretha Franklin’s family doesn’t approve of ‘Genius’ series: ‘This movie has to go!’" and there are many other articles discussing the prior approval by the estate vs the new concerns expressed by some of the family.

I'm just now reading about this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.  I hope they get it sorted out, and hope both productions are honorable tributes to the magnificently talented Aretha Franklin.

Thanks for your info @dooBdoo .  I did have a link to an interview herein, but for some reason it was removed.  It was a youtube link discussing the problem on E.T. Canada I found on Youtube.

I had been gearing up to watch the series waaaay before I knew about the lack of cooperation by National Geographic/and or Aretha's estate.

It's always "he said/she said" with these things.  They are of course, opposing sides.  Maybe we will never know about this aspect of it all.  However, I will be satisfied with the one I know that has Aretha's family and/or estate's support.  That is the film called "Respect" with Jennifer Hudson.  No ambiguity with that film!

Doesn't change how I feel about Ms. Erivo either, her taking this role just helped to further shape my opinion of her as an artist.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

even if the family AND aretha were involved, i am not always sure we get the "real picture" of what happened in the past. as we know, there may be "differing opinions" on how she handled certain events and decisions in her life. we see one side of the story generally and not the whole story.

@sunshine45this is so true.  However, I think we stand a better chance when a family/close friend or someone directly involved with the individual has a say.  After all, who knows someone more intimately, than loved ones/and or family and close friends?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're welcome, @gertrudecloset.😊   

I'll be watching both productions, hope they get it worked out to everyone's satisfaction. 

I can't comment on Cynthia Erivo since I'm just becoming familiar with her work.   If National Geo did have prior approval by the estate, and worked with members of the estate, I'm not sure she could've known there was a problem when she accepted and acted in the role.

Hope this doesn't turn out to be a harmfully divisive issue among family members...  that would be so sad, so unfortunate.

Have a lovely afternoon/evening, everyone.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

How the "he said/she said" works:

All Aretha Franklin’s family is asking is for a little respect from the makers of “Genius: Aretha,” National Geographic’s recently released biographical series about the legendary soul musician.

Earlier this month, Franklin’s granddaughter, Grace Franklin, posted a TikTok video accusing the “Genius” team of refusing to involve her family in the third season of the show, which stars English actress Cynthia Erivo.

And over the weekend, Rolling Stone published an interview with Aretha Franklin’s son, Kecalf Franklin, backing daughter Grace Franklin’s sentiments about the project, which premiered Sunday on National Geographic. Aretha Franklin died in August 2018 at age 76.

“As the immediate family, we feel it’s important to be involved with any biopic of my grandma’s life, as it’s hard to get any accurate depiction of anyone’s life without speaking to the ones closest to them,” 15-year-old Grace Franklin said on TikTok, where her family and friends can be seen chanting, “This movie has to go!” in protest of the series.

“During the process of writing, directing and filming this movie, we reached out to ‘Genius’ as a family on multiple occasions where we’ve been disrespected and told that we will not be worked with. As the immediate family — emphasis on immediate — we do not support this film, and we ask that you also do not support this film, as … we feel that there will be many inaccuracies about my grandmother’s life.”

In Rolling Stone, Kecalf Franklin clarified that National Geographic sent his family a nondisclosure agreement offering to show them the final product but made no effort to honor their input.

National Geographic told The Times it obtained approval to move forward with the program from Aretha Franklin’s estate, formerly represented by Kecalf Franklin’s cousin, Sabrina Garrett-Owens, and not affiliated with Franklin’s immediate family. When Garrett-Owens resigned about a year ago, however, the “Genius” team dismissed the rest of the family’s attempts to make contact, according to Kecalf Franklin.

“We had our lawyers reach out to them and see if we could have some type of input and see the film and say what we like and what we didn’t like about it,” Kecalf Franklin told Rolling Stone. “And the report that we got back was saying that … production had already wrapped up and that they didn’t want to work with us. It was basically too late.”

Kecalf Franklin conceded that the situation may have resulted from some “unfortunate” miscommunication around the time of Garrett-Owens’ exit from the Franklin estate, but contended there was “something to be learned from” the experience. He added that he had no plans to watch the series and feared that his family’s inability to participate was “a prelude to some type of unprofessional behavior … untruth or slander” against his mother.

“This is about common, decent respect for our family,” he continued. “If I was to do a movie on your family, I would try and speak with you, your sons, daughters, grandchildren and people like that. And we just never felt like we got a shot to speak to them freely from my heart about our family member.”

In a statement provided Monday morning to The Times, National Geographic acknowledged the family’s “concern for Ms. Franklin’s legacy” while insisting that “everyone who worked on Genius: Aretha approached telling her story with the intention to respect Ms. Franklin … in every decision we made.”

“The studio worked diligently to attain the endorsement of Aretha’s estate, which we are grateful to have,” the statement noted. “We worked with many people who knew Ms. Franklin — from Clive Davis to members of her family’s estate — to make sure we told her story in an honest and authentic way. This series is called Genius — it is a tribute to Aretha’s genius — something we hope we can all celebrate.”

In response to National Geographic’s remarks, Kecalf Franklin maintained in Rolling Stone that “the producers of this series neglected to take the necessary steps to properly prepare for this biopic production” by excluding his family’s perspective.

“Genius” is one of two recent high-profile projects centering on the late “Chain of Fools” hitmaker — the other being MGM’s “Respect,” starring singer-actress Jennifer Hudson and set to arrive this summer. Unlike “Genius,” Kecalf Franklin told Rolling Stone that the studio behind “Respect” is “trying to negotiate” and collaborate with his family on the film.

“Most creatives begin with a subject’s immediate family to produce the most authentic and honest version of that person’s life,” Kecalf Franklin said in reaction to National Geographic’s statement.

“In our opinion the Genius series failed to do so. Neither I nor my brothers have ever spoken with the producers of this series. We agree that our mother’s life’s work should be celebrated but with respect.”

from aw journal dot com