Esteemed Contributor

Aretha Franklin's family wasn't consulted on the National Geographic project

[ Edited ]

This further cements my dislike of Cythia Erivo.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Aretha Franklin's family wasn't consulted on the National Geographic project

typical  arrogance of some movie makers. You would think that they would have consulted her family.

Honored Contributor

Re: Aretha Franklin's family wasn't consulted on the National Geographic project

[ Edited ]

probably because there will be another one coming out later this year that they DID sanction......aretha, i believe,  was involved in the development up until the time of her death.

link is a subscription

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45Yes Ma'am!  I can't wait for that one with Jennifer Hudson.

They should have consulted the family on this Nat Geo project, though.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

???    It's unlikely that Cynthia had anything to do with the research or creation of the script.  Seems like Natl Geo is at fault, since it was their project.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

???    It's unlikely that Cynthia had anything to do with the research or creation of the script.  Seems like Natl Geo is at fault, since it was their project.

@Tinkrbl44   completely agree.

@gertrudecloset  based on your comments here and on the other thread you seem to have developed a dislike for Ms. Erivo which is your right; however don't assume everything you have a problem with regarding this production is on her.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

@Tique wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

@Tinkrbl44   completely agee.

@gertrudecloset  based on your comments here and on the other thread you seem to have developed a dislike for Ms. Erivo which is your right; however don't assume everything you have a problem with regarding this production is on her.

@Tique   @gertrudecloset 

It appears that more than one film project about Aretha was being developed.  It's very common for a production company to consult with family members, and usually will have a written agreement with them.  Agreements of this type often prevent those consultants from working with anyone else.   

If the family was contractually prevented from consulting with anyone else, I don't see how the actress is at fault.  What a ridiculous assertion!  

Honored Contributor

When doing a biopic, one might posit that when a producer wants the family's input, help and support, they involve the family... One might even assume that regardless of any input being pursued or not pursued they might communicate with the family as a 'nicety'... That said, I suspect there's no actual obligation on the part of the production team or the actors to involve family at any level...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

Could be.  But Cynthia Erivo didn't have to take the job.  The stories being told about "how" she got the job is what makes me dislike her.  No one is forced to be cast into a production if they turn it down.  She could have, but I have no doubt she wants to progress in her career @Tinkrbl44 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tique wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

@Tinkrbl44   completely agee.

@TiqueIf you only "knew me" you'd be surprised at who I disliked.  I haven't assumed anything.  I don't like her.  I said, and will say again, she didn't have to take the job.  Actors do this, because they want to puff up their resume.  Some of them also like to take parts that are meaningful and are true to their artistic endeavors. 

National Geographic didn't make Ms. Erivo take the part.  How would that work?