Honored Contributor

Re: Aretha Franklin has passed

A woman who lived in Detroit and who was acquainted with Aretha because she hired this woman to photograph her many times told a great story (well, several) on CNN.  This one brought tears to my eyes:

This photographer was in a local grocery store at the register checking out and spotted Aretha in the produce department.  Her jaw dropped and she pointed her out to the cashier and said, "Do you know who that is?  That's Aretha Franklin!"  And the cashier said, "Sure I do, she comes in here all the time to do her shopping."

You just don't find that combo of extraordinary talent, class and humility, let alone in someone who walked with giants.  She was so special and amazing.

Super Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

RIP Aretha Franklin Queen of Soul.  I will never forgot when you stood in at the last minute for Luciano Pavarotti when he was sick; I was never an opera lover but what you did was beautiful and me like other people in the audience were misty eyed by the time you finished.   I'm sorry I never got to see this great talent live.  I am also grateful that she was able to keep her illness private from the paparazzi the lengths they go to to get that photo when celebrities are dying is so inhumane.

One of the most amazing performances I have ever seen.

Honored Contributor

So many musical legends have passed.  With each one it is very sad and the loss leaves a big void in the world of music. Aretha Franklin has left a void and will not be replaced.  She was unique, she had a voice that was so powerful, so full of emotions and feelings, she could bring tears to your eyes.  My favorite song, Natural Woman, gives me goose bumps and I thank Aretha for being the person to sing that great song .

We can take some comfort in that while Aretha has passed, we still can listen to her sing and that is a blessing and gift she left behind.  Rest in peace , Aretha, your star shines.

Trusted Contributor

Another great, talented soul has gone to join the choirs in Heaven. 

I'm thankful her incredible music lives on here, until we meet in the great beyond. 

Aretha, The Queen of Soul, and Elvis, The King of Rock & Roll both passed over on 8/16. ❤️❤️

Honored Contributor

LOVED RESPECT!!!!!!!!!  Great song!  Sad to lose her!  RIP ARETHA!!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I just saw on iTunes she is ocuppying the first 5 spots on the singles chart. We always seem to appreciate someone in death rather then  while they are living. You don't know what you have til it's gone. 

Honored Contributor

The loss of Aretha really smarts... Her sublime voice and powerful presence don't come along very often... I read a nice article mostly quoting the man who produced the Grammy's the year she pinch hit for Pavarotti and performed the Nessun Dorma impeccably... She was overjoyed that it worked out so well. For those fortunate enough to see the video, you could see the joy and sense of accomplishment on her face. A humble yet magnificent talent... I'll miss her...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...