Honored Contributor

Are You Ready for the Medicare Advantage TV Ads to Stop?

I understand that we are in the middle of the enrollment period for folks to sign up for an insurance plan.  And it is good that there is information being aired to inform prospective clients.  But I'm ready for the enrollment ads to cease.  Probably will be replaced with more ads for pharmaceuticals and their side effects.  Cranky, old woman rant over.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are You Ready for the Medicare Advantage TV Ads to Stop?

[ Edited ]

Well my friend... if you are not 65 yet, just wait for the onslaught from all the insurance companies wanting to sell you supplements to Medicare the year you do turn 65.

Edit:  I mean the onslaught of mailings. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

Well my friend... if you are not 65 yet, just wait for the onslaught from all the insurance companies wanting to sell you supplements to Medicare the year you do turn 65.

Oh I know, watched my husband go through this experience.  I still have a year until they fill my mailbox and answering machine.  I will be getting my supplemental insurance through my husband's company-provided retirement benefits.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DH has Medicare and our mail box  and voice mail is full of Advantage junk mail, but the craziest thing is that I am not Medicare age yet.  I have until next spring, but I have been getting phone calls and junk mail since last summer under my name.

I am too young to even purchase Medicare anything yet.

I live in PA and I noticed that the Advantage Plans in my area stink.  I cannot believe that insurance companies are allowed to sell them.

I got a flyer last week for an Advantage Plan that cost $170 a month and paid mostly everything at 80%.  I just shook my head. The  flyer was from the health insurance company I retired from.

I, for the life of me can't figure out why someone would pay $134 for Medicare Part B then buy an Advantage Plan for $170 that allows the same expenses and pays the same 80%.  You would be better off just having Medicare and picking up an RX plan on your own.

in Florida and some other states, you can get an Advantage Plan for zero premium and your Medicare Part B payment.

Something needs to be done.  People  age 65 and over are getting ripped off in some states.  It makes me wanna scream.

Honored Contributor

I don't watch enough TV for ads to annoy me, but my mailbox is full of mail from the different plans.

Now, that I find annoying.

I have a plan, I like my plan, not changing.

Goes right in the trash

I have a zero premium plan and they are all the same across the board.

Honored Contributor

We just started Medicare last month (me) and this month (DH) and have been bombarded with info. Most goes in trash since we have our supplements and prescription plans.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DH has been on Medicare for 3years and our expenses have been minimal even with a rotator cuff repair and MOHS for skin cancer.  Me on the other hand am still 20 months away from Medicare and can wait.  Already have two hip replacements coming up on the life of the implant.  I’ve been paying close to $10k for coverage per year but finally this year I qualify for coverage through the Exchange.  Very excited as it will save us a lot of my money. And if one of tthe implants fail, I may have a chance of revision.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter

I rarely watch shows, and their commercials, in real time ...  everything is recorded and played back at my convenience, FF-ing through commercials.   (Good way to avoid imsurance commercials)

Sitting through any commercial, waiting for the show to come back, makes me feel like a captive audience ... and is a terrible waste of time.  JMO

Honored Contributor

Yup........and my voice mail is flooded with them, too!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I'll turn 65 in February. I never give out my name, address or phone number ever. If asked for a phone number I give out an old number I've had. That being said I have received NOTHING in my mail, on my phone.....NOTHING. I kind-of wish I'd get something so I can read to help me decide. 

"Pure Michigan"