Esteemed Contributor

Re: April 3 Happy 97th Birthday Doris Day!

[ Edited ]

I’m a huge fan of Doris. She remained classy above the Hollywood fray,despite her many heartbreaks. Even after losing her only child,Terry Melcher to cancer at 62 she held it together.

A friend of DH stayed in her hotel in Carmel a few years ago.He & his wife got to meet Doris.One morning when they were eating breakfast they looked up & she was sitting by herself reading the newspaper. They went over to say hello.They said she was very sweet & kind.She thanked them for stopping by.She declined to take a picture with them citing privacy reasons. Of course they respected her request. When they returned to their room later on that day they found a bottle of champagne with a handwritten note.It made their day.

Happy Birthday Doris!! 🎂🥂

Respected Contributor

@lmt , I'd be right there with you. Would love to see "It Happened to Jane" with Jack Lemmon and Ernie Kovacs. Haven't seen that in awhile, but I'd be happy with anything.

Esteemed Contributor

In my teen years, one of my most treasured possessions was a picture of Doris - dedicated to me and 'signed' by her!!  Have always loved her singing voice!!  And have seen many of her movies over and over; never get tired of them! 

Super Contributor

@lmt wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

Happy Birthday to Doris. She's one of my most favorite actors. Too bad TCM is not featuring any of her movies on her 97th birthday. 

@catter70  All day Doris Day movies? I'd be in heaven!!

If you have a dvr, you can set it up to record 'Doris Day'.  Mine has automatically recorded all her movies as they air, uncut, from TCM.  If they air on amother channel with commercials, I delete them.  It beats all the DVDs I have.

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I’m a huge fan of Doris. She remained classy above the Hollywood fray,despite her many heartbreaks. Even after losing her only child,Terry Melcher to cancer at 62 she held it together.

A friend of DH stayed in her hotel in Carmel a few years ago.He & his wife got to meet Doris.One morning when they were eating breakfast they looked up & she was sitting by herself reading the newspaper. They went over to say hello.They said she was very sweet & kind.She thanked them for stopping by.She declined to take a picture with them citing privacy reasons. Of course they respected her request. When they returned to their room later on that day they found a bottle of champagne with a handwritten note.It made their day.

Happy Birthday Doris!! 🎂🥂

@NicksmomESQ  What a wonderful story, thanks for sharing!!  Heart

It just reinforces my impression of her being such a gracious and lovely lady.

Honored Contributor

In the fifties, my aunt took me to the movies to see Calamity Jane.  I fell in love with that movie and the song Secret Love.  Doris sang some wonderful tunes along with Howard Keel.  To this day I still get a thrill out of seeing Calamity Jane and  I always sing along !  That was my first Doris Day movie and I have enjoyed all of her movies since.

Gracious, dignified, classy, beautiful inside and out, survivor of life's difficulties, Doris ranks among the best of movie entertainment.  But as I have said on these forums a few times before, I love her for being the animal advocate she is, compassionate and caring and having a charity for many years to help those animals she loves.  

Happy Birthday and God bless you, Doris Day!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

The Hollywood Reporter has a nice article and interview with Doris Day. Enjoy!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/doris-day-talks-turning-97-her-animal-philanthropy-rock-hudso...

Doris Day, in Rare Interview, Talks Turning 97, Her Animal Foundation and Rock Hudson: "I Miss Him"

Valued Contributor

Doris Day is a national treasure! So much talent. She and Barbara Stanwyck are my 2 favorite actresses. Loved when she and Gordon MacRae sang together in their movies - their voices were perfect together.

It is disappointing that TCM is not showing her movies today. If Robert Osborne was still here, I'm sure there would be lots of her movies on TCM today. I think I remember Robert Osborne saying she was his favorite or one of his favorite actresses. He always wanted to do an interview with her. Eddie Muller, the host of film noirs on TCM, said he is a big fan of Doris Day.

She really deserved to win an Oscar.

Respected Contributor

I love her so much. Her movies are so wonderful and she just brings a big smile to my face❤️

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
"I would crawl over the mountains of Beverly Hills on my hands and knees if I could do a movie with Doris Day!"   —John Wayne

“There’s no star, past or present, who today brings forth more enthusiasm and interest from dedicated movie fans than the woman who’s our TCM Star of the Month (4/2012) for April - Cincinnati’s gift to show business, the long out-of-sight Doris Day.”  --ROBERT OSBORNE (TCM Host) 

"You know, girl, you have a quality that I've seen but twice before. ...Pauline Lord and Laurette Taylor, two of the greatest American stage actresses. Both these ladies could really get in there and do it with everything. They could take you apart playing a scene. Now, you're the third one."  -said to Doris Day by James Cagney

"I'd rather have Doris than Liz Taylor...Doris is a very sexy lady who doesn't know how sexy she is.”  --James Garner

"I think she is potentially one of the greatest actresses I'll ever work with...” – Jack Lemmon

Edited to fix spacing. 
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.