Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We are thinking of buying the streamer and subscribing to the service, does anyone have it already, thanks

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I have an Apple TV device attached to our large Samsung which is not a "smart" tv.  I like using it to mirror my ipad, macbook, or iphone to the television.  I also like being able to quickly access Hulu and other apps without having to hook up another device.  We just signed up for a free trial of Apple TV+, so I'm not as familiar with it, but I'm sort of disappointed with the limited content.

Honored Contributor

I recently bought a new Ipad Pro and with it came a free year of Apple TV+. 

I've watched the first two episodes of the new Jennifer Anniston/Reese Witherspoon series. 

I watch it on my iPad,  not on my tv. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

The Apple TV Device is very expensive for what it is. You can subscribe to Apple TV and use the app on other streaming devices, like the Fire Stick, Fire TV, or Roku. I'm planning to use it with my Fire Stick.

Honored Contributor

There are many streaming services with more just waiting to jump online.  Shop around and compare prices for what you're getting before buying.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

We've had an Apple TV since 2010. Really like it, we watch Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. Plus many other channels.

Valued Contributor

You don't need apple tv device for the new service. The device is great if you have apple products you mighht want to use air play for. I like  having apps I can watch. The only way I get the shopping channels on tv is via apple tv.If you have a smart tv it mi\ght not make as much sense. I stream netflix and direct tv now through it. I love it.I can use air play and listen to my music. It depends what your needs and wants are.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland 

Can you explain a bit more, I have a Smart tv with built in and no longer use the firestick.

I would love to investigate this option a bit more

Many thanks

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

The Apple TV Device is very expensive for what it is. You can subscribe to Apple TV and use the app on other streaming devices, like the Fire Stick, Fire TV, or Roku. I'm planning to use it with my Fire Stick.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Alison Wonderland 

Can you explain a bit more, I have a Smart tv with built in and no longer use the firestick.

Many thanks

I can't explain much more, as I don't know anything about the smart TV. Can you download apps, like the QVC or HBO Now Apps? If so, you may be able to download an Apple TV+ app and watch through that.

The Apple TV+ website lists compatible devices, so I would start there and see if your TV is listed. If so, you may not need to buy anything any may only need to subscribe to the service.

If it's not listed, I would spend $40 on an Amazon Fire Stick (or use your old one if you still have it) instead of spending $150 on the Apple TV streaming device.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland 

Thanks and I did a bit of resaerch Apple TV is only avilable through the box that you buy from Apple.

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Alison Wonderland 

Many thanks

I can't explain much more, as I don't know anything about the smart TV. Can you download apps, like the QVC or HBO Now Apps? If so, you may be able to download an Apple TV+ app and watch through that.

The Apple TV+ website lists compatible devices, so I would start there and see if your TV is listed. If so, you may not need to buy anything any may only need to subscribe to the service.

If it's not listed, I would spend $40 on an Amazon Fire Stick (or use your old one if you still have it) instead of spending $150 on the Apple TV streaming device.