Valued Contributor

Anyone watching "Alone"?

[ Edited ]

It started tonight at 10 EST on the History Channel (so we're 20 minutes in so far). 

The challenge is to live 100 days in the Arctic, surviving on your own. If you are able to do so you win $1,000,000. 

I know this is not the first season but I've never watched it before. I'm planning on following it this season. I find the subject intriguing as there has been quite a lot of discussion around living off grid since the pandemic. 

So far I'm learning in the first 20 minutes that I am not a viable candidate for that type of living Smiley Very Happy

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone watching "Alone"?

I'm recording it. I've watched every season. I hope a woman finally wins.

Respected Contributor

I've watched every season, but after the last few, for me, the show lost its luster.

It's really not about who can survive alone, but who can starve for the longest period of time.

The show ought to be renamed "Starvation".

The contestants are purposely dropped into habitats where thriving is an absolute impossibility.

Watching someone weaken and waste away isn't "entertainment"!

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

Hubs sure enjoys it. We're always surprised when some 'tap' out when we thought they'd go to the end.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

We always watch it.  The people who do these things have amazing survival skills.  The conditions that they have to face are just unbelievable.  Not only do they need amazing survival skills, but they need to be very strong mentally.  Being alone in such inclimate weather situations -- being totally isolated with no human contact --- is something which few can handle.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

My first reaction was "oh fooey I didn't know the new season had started". Ran and checked my recordings. Ahhh, my dvr picked it up as it was still programmed in there from last season.