Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone watching Sharp Objects?

I wasn't going to comment of post much here because it doesn't specifically say "spoilers".  However, I guess it will be OK, since other's have posted comments that can be construed as 'spoilers'.

Go herehttps://variety.com/2018/tv/features/sharp-objects-finale-marti-noxon-camille-amma-dollhouse-reveal-interview-1202915051

This explains some of why the TV show is different from the book (which I did not read).  The person who adapted the TV show and the director felt like it was necessary to put in certain visual parts in order to more clearly explain the violence. 

In particular read the part where he explains this during some of the credits.

Here is another website that delves further into WHY the TV show was different and WHY the characters did this or that......This is from "VARIETY:

https://hollywoodlife.com/2018/07/10/what-happens-in-sharp-objects-book-amy-adams/

Honored Contributor

This town was not in the South, LOL   .........  it was in Missouri which last time I checked, is the Midwest, Camille lived in St. Louis, MO!

Honored Contributor

I just read in the TV Guide that Sharp Objects was given a Jeer by them. It said "Jeers to Sharp Objects for sticking it to viewers who cut out early. If you changed the channel at the end of the harrowing limited-series finale, there's a good chance you too missed the surprise mid-credits scene that revealed who helped Amma (Eliza Scanlen) kill those Wind Gap girls. Not cool, HBO".

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

This town was not in the South, LOL   .........  it was in Missouri which last time I checked, is the Midwest, Camille lived in St. Louis, MO!

@Hooty

The whole Southern Gothic vibe was a distraction for me, too.  It's Missouri, not Mississippi.

But then I had to remind myself that Hollywood tends to believe that everyone who lives between California and New York has a drawl.

Bless their hearts.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

several

@Jordan2 wrote:

I just read in the TV Guide that Sharp Objects was given a Jeer by them. It said "Jeers to Sharp Objects for sticking it to viewers who cut out early. If you changed the channel at the end of the harrowing limited-series finale, there's a good chance you too missed the surprise mid-credits scene that revealed who helped Amma (Eliza Scanlen) kill those Wind Gap girls. Not cool, HBO".

-----------------------
      I agree!  Not only was that important info shared at the very end of the series....it happens so quickly!!  I went back  times to view it again!!!

Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

several

@Jordan2 wrote:

-----------------------
      I agree!  Not only was that important info shared at the very end of the series....it happens so quickly!!  I went back  times to view it again!!!

@corita, I have learned to always stay til the end of the credits for shows and movies because a lot of movies do this. I always think people who make a beeline for the exit at movie theaters are really missing out!

Honored Contributor

@just bee, LOL  .......  Yes, Bless their hearts!!!Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Reading through comments -- the 'boothill' of Missouri is a puzzle piece Missouri yanked from Arkansas, according to history. College roommate was from boothill and her stories reflect writings in Sharp Object. There's a part of Missouri starting in Springfield and south, and also near Mark Twain National Forest, in the southeast, where a Southern drawl is common. Attended college in Springfield, MO. Although we were Missouri residents, Eastern clips from St. Louis, Southern twangs from bottom third of state and 'no accent' from Western Missouri could be heard. Northern Missouri is agricultural and rural, much like Iowa or Nebraska in many ways. And there's a clip to those accents as well. Being in the middle of the country, much of Missouri reflects our border states. So yes -- Southern accents are not unusual. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I recorded the show and just watched the last 10 minutes again because I didn't get it all the first time around. Now I did realize Camille picked up a tooth, but in seeing the floor tiled in teeth, if I hadn't read that was what it was I never would have noticed. Also the death of Amma's African American friend and the others were shown too fast and the friend's killing was blurry. It should have been shown in slow motion and very clearly, you brought us on this long journey, why not let us absorb it all?

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I recorded the show and just watched the last 10 minutes again because I didn't get it all the first time around. Now I did realize Camille picked up a tooth, but in seeing the floor tiled in teeth, if I hadn't read that was what it was I never would have noticed. Also the death of Amma's African American friend and the others were shown too fast and the friend's killing was blurry. It should have been shown in slow motion and very clearly, you brought us on this long journey, why not let us absorb it all?

-----------------

Absolutely agree!!  

Exactly what I had to do...I watched the ending about four times.  The writers really trivialized and downplayed that important info about the Amma and the deaths.  Poor writing or trying to be too edgy????