Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone watching Rock the Block on HGTV?

I laughed when they said top THREE. Gee - I wonder what the fourth house was?? I wonder if they will need to give a design credit for David and Tiffany’s house? IMO, I wouldn't take as is - needs a lot of work.

I think I liked Nate and Jeremiah's house the best, although it had some flaws.  Brian and Mika's would be a great entertaining house, especially if you had younger kids. I liked the sensible last day additions on Alison's and Mike's house.  I think everyone used their last bit of money wisely...except the tile in David and Tiffany's room.  Ugh.

Last year, they made a big deal about rooms not being staged and it wasn't brought up that I remember this year. Also, we never got to see if Alison and Mike actually had room for a washer/dryer!!  LOL

I'm okay with the winner; had an inkling it would be them.

Honored Contributor

Color me surprised.

Nate and Jeremiah's house had some interesting commentary in that it was not livable for a real family.  So I pretty much figured they were out of the running after hearing that.

I wonder if Alison and Mike had put the stairs to the porch in if that would have changed the outcome.  Also they didn't put running water in the basement dry bar or the outdoor kitchen like the other team.

Alison and Mike were adorable together and I'm glad he got to do some of his stuff in the end with the generator and air filtration.  However non-glamorous those two things are, I would like them in a home.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I laughed when they said top THREE. Gee - I wonder what the fourth house was?? I wonder if they will need to give a design credit for David and Tiffany’s house? IMO, I wouldn't take as is - needs a lot of work.

I think I liked Nate and Jeremiah's house the best, although it had some flaws.  Brian and Mika's would be a great entertaining house, especially if you had younger kids. I liked the sensible last day additions on Alison's and Mike's house.  I think everyone used their last bit of money wisely...except the tile in David and Tiffany's room.  Ugh.

Last year, they made a big deal about rooms not being staged and it wasn't brought up that I remember this year. Also, we never got to see if Alison and Mike actually had room for a washer/dryer!!  LOL

I'm okay with the winner; had an inkling it would be them.

@Alter Ego  the staging was interesting. The dark haired lady that was doing the appraisal made a comment something like:  when Nate and partner remove their high end furniture,  their house won't look as good.  The laundry room was also interesting because if none of the other teams did anything to it like adding the appliances and cabinets,  that would definitely bring up the value of the 100 day couple. 

I enjoy the show and hope they have another one,  but the premise is a problem.  When you have "designers" coming in and making the house look interesting but not really what the average buyer in that area will want, then only judge it on the value it negates the designs.  It was interesting listening to the comments last night compared to some of the other comments from the other judges.  It wasn't very consistent.  I also wonder if the "producers" throw in some suggestions.  I really don't see Allison putting in a putting green or the 100 day couple that was so focused on being practical throwing in a bowling alley. 

Honored Contributor

I think the the winner was the most family friendly and practical house (except for the basement addition). It was a fun addition but upkeep and servicing might turn me away. I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

I liked all of the homes except Davids...his style is not for me. 

I would gladly live in any of the other 3.

Honored Contributor

One of the major mistakes that I felt Alison made in season 1 was that she was designing for Chicago in California.  Several times it was commented that her designs were too dark and too heavy for California.

I think she swung all the way in the other direction with the putting green, but it was pretty clear to me that the new owner didn't need to keep that as a putting green.  They could use it as outdoor space however they wanted.  The putting green was just fake turn, easily removed.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@TurnerGal  Your comment reminded me - I agree that the criteria for the final judging seemed different from other episodes.  Even going back to Tarek and his fiancée in the first episode - their judging was more about the design, they barely brought up practicality at all (I keep going back to Nate's and Jeremiah's impractical glass shelves by the oven.)

It was also interesting when the judges commented on "features" which could be highlighted (and the winning house had quite a few) vs design.  Was an interesting way to think about it.  I don't recall who judged the final on the first season, but I liked that it was the agents in charge of selling the houses who were doing it here.

To be fair, David and Tiffany (?) made some interesting construction choices and I wonder how much closer their home would have been had they not been so ... bold in some of their other choices.  They may have even been able to have money left to do more outside.

Honored Contributor

I think the couple who were judging (they are from Flip or Flop Atlanta) are going to be the selling agents.  The husband was the builder of the 4 homes so it would make sense that they would also be the selling agents.

I have glass top tables in my living room.  I cannot imagine how much work it would be to clean those glass shelves next to the oven.  As it is I have to dust and clean mine once a week and it's more just dust and coffee or tea splashes.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

I think Nate and Jerimah's kitchen hardly had any cabinets and you'd think with they themselves having children they'd make it more functional for a family.  It was "pretty" but not functional.

Honored Contributor

One of them said, "I don't know about you, but I've got sippy cups and all kinds of stuff that I don't think I want on display."  LOL

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

The Beyond the Block episode this week was hilarious and the best episode of the season.

So much funny stuff.

They had footage of them impersonating each other. 

I really think David is adorable.  I only knew him from the commercials for his show.  He is so fun and funny.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN