Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone watching Rock the Block on HGTV?

The 4/5 episode is just so crazy.

Alison wears high heels all the time, she is always partying in Vegas.  HOW does one walk on gravel in high heels?

My tivo cut off the preview for next week. It looks like 2 episodes the finale and the decision.

What is left to do in the house?

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35  - I think next week is the finale.  The contestants get to tour each other;s houses and the winner is named.

Honored Contributor

I watched 2 episodes last night, the basement and the yard.  I haven't seen any of the other episodes, so I have a question.  Were these all brand new houses?  I wondered because the designers got to choose the outside facade of their house, but it sounds like the houses were already totally built otherwise since I heard one of the designers mention using cabinets that they had taken out from the upstairs.

I figured Nate & Jeremiah would win the basement challenge just due to how much they got out of the space, but I did like Mike and Alison's better.  I was wondering if this was all filmed before the Cake Boss' bowling alley accident.  That alone would up the liability factor when judging the cost, especially after the mention of the possible liabilitiy of a stove in the basement.  BTW, there are easy fixes to keep from turning on appliances at least for knobs.  They also mentioned possible liability with the tile in the covered porch, so I would expect the bowling alley to have liability issues.

They showed a glimpse of all the insides of the houses and one of them just horrified me.  I don't know those designers but it wasn't Mike & Alison's or Nate & his partner.  I think it was the pair where the lady had to leave for awhile and had been dinged on color in previous episodes.

I didn't care for Mike's golf green.  I guess Nate and his partner's yard was the best although they really didn't have any backyard.  However, I would much prefer the view of the one with the creek.  I'm surprised they didn't do more with that back yard, but I also didn't get a good idea of what the had to work with or maybe there wasn't much to work with.

@VaBelle35 My husband commented how he liked Mike's lamp too and he doesn't even like Mike.  Actually, I think we were into last night's episode before he even realized Mike was on there, so maybe he wouldn't like the lamp so much if he had known who made it.  I will say, my husband is absolutley no judge of home decorating, but I also liked the lamp and thnk it takes a rare talent to even visualize something like that.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess The Atlanta Flip or Flop husband was the builder of these homes.  I think HGTV bought a plot of land and the 4 homes built for the show.

They were 4 basic homes, exactly the same except for the back yard views.

They put some builder grade stuff in the kitchens and bathrooms but they were minimally finished homes to start.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

For how much these homes will cost the buyers, I can’t imagine having those tiny back yards. Couldn’t they have moved the builds up on the plots so they would have a larger back and smaller front? But what do I know. I personally also like a fenced in back yard.

I’m okay with who won, but I think it could have gone to other teams as well. With the retaining wall, may have liked a wall or something around the edge. I keep thinking these are family homes and may have small children.
Trusted Contributor

I think they reaized they spent too much on the inside of the house and by the time they got to the basements and outside they were limited with the amount of money they had left.  

I think I actually like the $100K couple's outside of the home the best.  It think it looked like a traditional farm house.  I did kind of like the cover they put on their back deck.  Not sure how much that cost.  I think the back yards will be a big draw back for a buyer.  Those back yards are going to take a lot more money to be usable for a family.  I think buyers down there would also really expect a a screened in porch.  I had to agree with the comments about Nate's porch.  I thought it was a really beautiful but that floor would not work.  They also spent a lot of money on the floor.  

It will be interesting to see who wins next week,  They keep stressing that someone who hasn't won could win.  So maybe the  $100k couple will get a win.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I assume that because the point is to add the most value to the home, the teams probably spent a lot of money adding bedrooms and bathrooms and living space.  I think Alison was really the only team to expand the backyard space to usuable space.

She took into consideration that it's golf country, so there's that.

It will be interesting.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

REMINDER,  tonight is the finale.  I am not sure who will win.  The only one that would suprise me tonight is David and his partner.  I think any of the other three could win.  I think the 100 day couple is the only one left with money,  except the money that Nate won last week.  So anyone with money could still make some changes,

Esteemed Contributor

@TurnerGal  I agree - I can come up with reasons for three teams to win and why those same three could lose.  As long as David and his partner don't win, I would be fine with the winner.  However, Brian and Mika spent a lot of money on the bowling alley and pergola (?) with retractable roof, so I'm not sure they are any better off cash wise as the others.

(Although, as someone with an elderly mother who can't use stairs, I appreciate the bedroom at David's house.  It still better not win!!)

Trusted Contributor

Well I won't spoil it,  wasn't sure who it would be, but I am "ok" with it.   It was interesting that it said the top three appraised within $6000 of each other.  So it was very close.  They also said the winning house sold already full asking price.  I wonder when this was filmed.  

I am sure Allison will be back again next year.  She actually grew on me this time.