Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone watching Jeopardy right now?

All I know is that I enjoy watching him. He’s funny and smart. Like a few super champions before him, he will lose when he starts becoming too sure of himself and will risk far more money than he should.

Esteemed Contributor

There's a cute video where he shouts out to all the patrons in his bar "Alright, how's it pronounced?" and they all shout back "It's sherbert!" Very cute.

He was also on Good Morning America with Michael Strahan doing a short interview and...he got a haircut! It looked good but I kind of love the hair that screams "Maestro!"  Along with his arm flourishes, I could totally see him with a baton in front of an orchestra.

I don't know where people get the arrogant and smug thing from. He comes across as a really nice guy. I'll miss him when he's gone.

Another thing I thought was interesting--he doesn't even own a TV!

When asked about his plans for the money he said either a municipal bond or a BMW. I think he was being funny about the BMW but with the money he's won he could easily do both. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm in the minority but I think he is pretty obnoxious.  Very intelligent but one of these evenings he'll be gone. Everyone loses eventually.  He'll get too cocky with a stupid bet.

Respected Contributor

He certainly is quirky.

As for sherbet, I remember having the word on a spelling list.  Our teacher said it is not spelled like we pronounce it.  We said sherbert and I still do.  One summer I worked in an ice cream parlor.  The owner said sherbert.  I do not remember having a customer order sherbet.

Respected Contributor

Interesting piece about filming delay written by ken Jennings father. 

https://www.quora.com/How-far-in-advance-are-Jeopardy-Shows-taped-and-how-many-are-taped-in-one-sess...

Respected Contributor

After reading this thread I watched him more attentively tonight.  He really is odd.  I think a lot of it is for show,  NYC bartenders are hardly shy and introverted.

Respected Contributor

He seemed off his game at the beginning of the show.  

Trusted Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

I thought so too.  I heard that they film up to 3 shows at once.  Maybe he was tired.  

Honored Contributor

When he was in the negative numbers Thursday, I thought he would lose. I believe his only goal was to win one game - perhaps when he no longer wants to play, he will throw the game.  I know someone who did that at a spelling bee.  They clearly knew how to spell the word, but were sick of playing, and their ego didn't require them to be a winner.

Respected Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

I thought so too.  I heard that they film up to 3 shows at once.  Maybe he was tired.  

The article I linked above said they film 5 a day twice a week.  So this was on his second or third day of filming.  If it was filmed the same day as the previous "sherbet" episode he may have been angry I think.  I can just imagine him engaging the judges after that filming ended.