Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone watching Bridgerton on Netflix?

@Cakers3  One could argue that the scenes were all about plot, but maybe were too subtle to really show what they were supposed to.

Spoiler
Arguably, they should have shown that the husband was using a form of birth control. I don't think it was always that obvious that he was.  But eventually she figured it out and took control.  

In the book, it supposedly shows her getting him drunk and taking advantage of him.  They don't go that route on TV, but many find the scene controversial because the husband did not give consent.

Now, I'm not saying that the next season/next book will be any different! LOL I'm sure they love being free enough to be able to do so and maybe "shock" people.  But, at least, there was some reason behind it.

Respected Contributor

Call me crazy, but I started watching this last night and could not stop.  I watched the entire series and was up until 3:30 am!  I really loved this show.  At times it was serious, hilarious, quirky,etc.  I am not familiar with the actor who played Simon, but he is gorgeous!  Loved the Queen and all the other characters as well.  I think these British imports are incredible and cannot wait until season 2.

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@Cakers3  One could argue that the scenes were all about plot, but maybe were too subtle to really show what they were supposed to.

Spoiler
Arguably, they should have shown that the husband was using a form of birth control. I don't think it was always that obvious that he was.  But eventually she figured it out and took control.  

In the book, it supposedly shows her getting him drunk and taking advantage of him.  They don't go that route on TV, but many find the scene controversial because the husband did not give consent.

Now, I'm not saying that the next season/next book will be any different! LOL I'm sure they love being free enough to be able to do so and maybe "shock" people.  But, at least, there was some reason behind it.

@Alter Ego   Yeah-I think it was pretty obvious he was not "completing the act"  with Daphne.  Considering he said he would not have children.

Not the best b/c method but better than nothing.

I'm not offended by it all-I just think it was too long. 

Here, there, and everywhere.  We get it already.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I forgot to mention in my previous post but did you ever notice how different the actors look in the British shows as compared to the American ones?  The actors in the British shows look, for the most part, like regular people.  They are not all the same size or shape, they have imperfections, the women actually have wrinkles and are not botoxed to death, there are no grapefruit size balls on their chests.  They all look normal.  The American shows seem to have so many actors with plastic surgery and do not look realistic.  Just my humble opinion.

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

I forgot to mention in my previous post but did you ever notice how different the actors look in the British shows as compared to the American ones?  The actors in the British shows look, for the most part, like regular people.  They are not all the same size or shape, they have imperfections, the women actually have wrinkles and are not botoxed to death, there are no grapefruit size balls on their chests.  They all look normal.  The American shows seem to have so many actors with plastic surgery and do not look realistic.  Just my humble opinion.

@lovesallanimals  

I agree.  I also think British actors are more polished and talented than most of what we have on this side of the pond.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I was watching GMA this morning, it is rumored that Rege-Jean Page is being considered for the role of James Bond. He will make a FINE Bond!

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals  "I am not familiar with the actor who played Simon, but he is gorgeous!"

He was one of the main characters in this series called For The People.  He was one of the lawyers.  He was clean shaven then.  He was deliciously looking back then.  I must admit though, he was Swoon.gifmaterial in Bridgerton.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@lovesallanimals wrote:

@lovesallanimals  

I agree.  I also think British actors are more polished and talented than most of what we have on this side of the pond.

What are you talking about?! Helen Mirren had her face butchered to the point of unrecognition in order to get any roles, Kathryn Zeta Jones had so many things done!

dame Judi Dench, Jeremy Irons both fixed their horrendous teeth to be presentable.

They all do that but a bit later than American actors, it’s a mentality thing. I am a European person and we are a little less vain.