Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone watch the movie "Hours" with Meryl Streep

As a young woman, the brilliant novelist Virginia Woolf was considered an ethereal beauty.  When she and her artist sister Vanessa Bell were still Virginia and Vanessa Stephen, they used to bowl over society onlookers.  Of course, in Virginia's case the years took their toll and illness had its effect as well.

Young Virginia:

2016-03-27_lif_17914739_I1.JPG

Honored Contributor

It was a very goodmovie, very depressing, but excellent acting. Nicole Kidman did win the Oscar for her role as well.....Julianne Moore is in it too, and does an excellent job as always, as does Meryl Streep.......Ed Harris is pheneomenal in his role too.....I have seen it a couple of times, and it is a wonderful movie, though depressing....

Frequent Contributor

It is based on Michael Cunningham's excellent book with the same title. It takes Virginia Woolf's "Mrs. Dalloway" as a jump off point. 

I like this film a lot, the way the timelines are woven together is engaging. Imagining characters, fictional and historic, and place them into situations and storylines the audience knows from their own lives is powerful and engaging. 

Allison Jenney and Claire Danes are very good in their parts as well.