Esteemed Contributor

Anyone remember The McGuire Sisters?

The last remaining sister of this singing act, Phyllis died yesterday at age 89.  As a child, I remember seeing them when my parents watched the Arthur Godfrey show.   A long time ago.....

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone remember The McGuire Sisters?

I remember them well and those voices together were absolutely marvelous..  RIP Phyllis- you and your sisters are singing in heaven now..

The McGuire Sisters - Sugartime - YouTube

The McGuire Sisters - Greatest Hits Medley - YouTube

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry to hear that, @twinsister .  I knew of them, but Dominick Dunne's explosive late-Eighties interview with Phyllis in "Vanity Fair" really brought them into focus for me.

Phyllis, the youngest of the trio, lived in recent years in Las Vegas.  She and her sisters had come out of the blue, and were very talented.  At a much earlier point in her career, she was unwisely and romantically involved for years with the notorious Sam Giancana, of John Kennedy /Judith Exner fame.  Dunne goes into all that.

The house in Las Vegas was apparently incredible, as only Dominick Dunne could describe it!   Mirrored floors, a huge "indoor Eiffel Tower",  black swans outside, and on- premises armed guards!   There's a photo of the beautiful Phyllis posing amicably in a bubble bath.  Dunne found her to be chatty, friendly and liked her enormously.

Good piece:

https://archive.vanityfair.com/article/1989/6/high-roller-the-phyllis-mcguire-story

Edited to add-  Hey, my first attempt to post link didn't go to the article directly.  Trying again.  If it just goes to the general "Vanity Fair" online site, just google "High Roller, The Phyllis McGuire Story".     

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell - I had heard about her and SG.  Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

@Suziepeach - thanks for the links.  I loved their version of Sincerely.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell Interesting story!  Here's a link showing the inside of her "home".............don't think it all came from her singing career!

https://www.toptenrealestatedeals.com/weekly-ten-best-home-deals/home/phyllis-mcguires-las-vegas-hom...

Super Contributor

undefined

Contributor

Great photos. The Eiffel Tower is over the top even for Vegas.

Valued Contributor

Phyllis must have had decorating tips from Liberace!  

She was a fabulous character - one of a kind.  Today's celebrities pale in comparison.  There just isn't glamour in today's celebs.  

Esteemed Contributor

@twinsister 

@twinsister wrote:

The last remaining sister of this singing act, Phyllis died yesterday at age 89.  As a child, I remember seeing them when my parents watched the Arthur Godfrey show.   A long time ago.....

I remember them, but I am going on 85 and I thought they were already singing, because i remember WW11.  Was 8 years old when it ended.

Maybe it was later when they were a singing group, but I thought it was during the war.  Time gets away from you when you are my age.

I get it now. It was the Andrew Sisters.  I use to love the Bob Hope specials when he went to visit the troops.  

Honored Contributor

No, I haven't heard of them.  But Phyllis and her sisters seem to have been quite talented.  R.I.P.