Honored Contributor

Anyone ever hear of TV show Crime Story?

We just spent 5 days in a cabin. The cabin is situated in front of a mountain. So there is no Internet, phone service or cable. At one time they had Dish. But because the electricity was turned off between visitors, everytime someone visited the Dish had to be rebooted. It became a pain and since the cabin is used infrequently, it seemed like a waste of money.

So there is quite an assortment of DVDs that people have left.

We started watching a TV show from 1986 called Crime Story. I never heard of it and therefore never watched it.

We got to binge watching it at the cabin. The main character was Dennis Farina but Julia Roberts was in an episode, Christian Slater, Kevin Spacey, Miles Davis, Paul Anka, Debbie Harry, David Hyde Pierce, David Soul, David Caruso and Gary Sinise. Quite a different assortment of people.

Did anyone watch this show? Not sure why I never heard/watched this show.

Contributor

Re: Anyone ever hear of TV show Crime Story?

Yes I did. I loved it but it didn't last long. The bad guy starred on the Closer as a L.A. P.D. Detective.  I'm 70 years old and remembered all the old shows.

Esteemed Contributor

Woman Wink @Shelbi  I'm about the same age as you are but strangely I never really think of TV shows that aired after 1980 as being old shows.  Something from the '50s or '60s such as Father Knows Best or Perry Mason is my idea of what constitutes an old show.   All kidding aside, I do remember Crime Story.  In fact, it was quite gritty and edgy with violent scenes and dark storylines which were not so commonplace on TV when it aired in the mid-80s.  I thought it was pretty good, but it was not a rating success and was only on for a season or two.  Some of the guest stars were already known celebrities, but like when I watch an episode of Twilight Zone or Naked City and see guest stars who went on to become major names in movies or other TV projects, it is interesting to see them in roles given to unknowns and up and coming talent. 

@drizzellla What did you think of Crime Story?

Contributor

Yes, I loved ❤️ that show & tried to never miss a show.  Dennis Farina was the lead actor, he was a retired Chicago Policeman before he became an actor...I think it was on NBC.  He passed away about a year ago.  

Trusted Contributor

LOVED that show and never missed an episode.  As another poster said, it didn't last long - just two seasons. The two-hour pilot was first shown in the movies and then brought to tv.  Michael Mann who had done Miami Vice presented it as a serialized show which probably was its downfall.  If you didn't catch it from the beginning, you were coming in on a story that had already been introduced.  We watched from the beginning to the end and were disappointed when it was cancelled.  I love Dennis Farina and was happy to see him on Law and Order replacing Jerry Orbach when he passed.  Sad that Dennis Farina is no longer with us either.

Respected Contributor

I remember Crime Story very well. Dennis Farina was fantastic.   Tony Dennison later showed up on The Closer, one of my all time favorite shows. Stephen Lang is still very active, he is currently in the "Don't Breathe" movie franchise.  I really don't remember the guest stars but the show was riveting. 

Honored Contributor

@Trix 

After watching the first episode, we were hooked. That is why we were surprised that we didn't remember the series when it was on TV the first time.

So we looked forward to binge watching the first season. And finished watching the first season. And have the second season yet to watch.

Honored Contributor

Land of the Lost TV Series: Crime Story - Go Retro!

Ah, the 80s.  Miami Vice, Crime Story, Wiseguy.

We watched them all.  Adored Dennis Farina.  When I really miss him, I watch Midnight Run (1988).

Another suggestion - Album on Imgur

And So It Begins...: In Character: Dennis Farina

Dennis Farina - Midnight Run - Cast - The Miami Vice Community

We lost Dennis in 2013.

Yes, it's been that long.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Excellent! Fabulous pictures. Thank you!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  I remember when it was on but never watched it.