Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone else streaming old sitcoms, etc. instead of watching new stuff?

@denisemb wrote:

Boy, I am.  Currently binge watching old "Love Boat" episodes (mostly because I missed them during my dating period).  Fun to see the old stars and fashions.

Also caught the tail-end of an early "Beverly Hillbillies" on one of my oldies stations because I'd missed those, too.  "Cement pond",  fancy dining table and pot passers.

Beats watching some of the so-called "new sitcoms" these days.

Oh Oh OH I loved Love Boat back in the day, i need to find it.  I watch old sitcoms just to get through the days.  I seriously don/t watch the news hardly at all

I need to find something good on netflix to binge.  I am more of a comedy kind of girl, never got into Bridgerton or period shows.  I just need light and airy as I am going through a rough time right now and don't need anything else to bring me down.

Esteemed Contributor

@denisemb You made me LOL with the C-ment pond!!   My brother called me Ellie May for years as I lived pretty far out in the woods for quite some time!   Funny memories of those great shows.  I loved so many of them, they are not nearly the same anymore.

Thanks for the laugh Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

So much has changed since how life is portrayed back then. I know even back then people wasn't ALL like that. The way people go about now is something out of a horror episode. Can you imagine June Cleaver who wore pearls, high heels and her hair was never a hair out of place just to push a vacumn cleaner.

Now pregnant women go around with protruding big bellies barely contained , with navel showing, in a Tshirt that was meant for somebody who wore a size 5 once upon a time.

Men have hair in ponytails, manbuns, anything with holes in it is considered chic. Ripped clothing that should be burned you see on everybody think they look en vogue just look pitiful. People trying to get into the country look better.

Respectful children were a blessing. I can go on and on, but, sadly, those times are gone and what we got now will be even worse in years to come.  It's nice to look back and see how it used to be and reflect on how society is now out of control.

Respected Contributor

We watch METV....Happy Days, MASH, etc.  Love Boat is on another channel and it's usually when I'm making dinner but I try to at least put it on the TV.   About a year ago, we binged watched The West Wing on Neflix.  Really enjoyed that.  Right now were have the complete DVD set of the Sopranos and have been watching that most evening.  Right now the only thing we watch on TV is The Blacklist (we binged the first 7 seasons on Netflix now it's on regular TV) and Young Sheldon.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I don't need to stream the shows. 

My over the air reception brings in Cozi TV, ME TV, Antenna TV, GET TV and Decades, which together give me access to dozens and dozens of old sitcoms, westerns and dramas.

@Johnnyeager 

I watch the classic TV channels a lot through my cable company.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I rarely turn on the TV during the day but if I do I watch Pluto TV

So many great old shows of all kinds, not just sitcoms

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love, love, love, to watch the old classic sitcoms better writers and were actually funny!. But one thing I found out were a lot of misconceptions about the "respectful" and well mannered children on some of these "classic shows"......  Watching "Father Knows Best"....Bud, Kathy, and Betty were a bunch of spoiled whinners, and certainly "entitled, and boy that Betty was certainly a "drama queen"...Same with Jeff and Mary on the "Donna Reed Show" (spoiled brats), so was Patty Duke on the "Patty Duke Show" and no one can be more annoying than "Dennis The Menance" he was too old for some of his antics!--for me a classic show I'll pass on

Now one of my favorites, that I find the most realistic is "Leave It To Beaver" as far as the kids were concerned. At least Wally and "The Beaver" got disciplined and got a good scolding from  their parents when they disobeyed and/or got out of line...(mostly got BAD adivce from their friends), and sometimes the boys didnt get along and fought with another .....more realistic than later sitcoms like "Full House"...."Family Affair"......"Growing Pains"

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

My husband has been watching The Untouchables on the H & I Channel.

Esteemed Contributor

Except for Survivor, I haven't watched the major networks in years.  I have cable and can watch most of the older sitcoms on several channels such as METV, Antenna, etc.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Not only old shows but old british shows. Yes I have Britbox. The only new shows I watch are NCIS which I think is the last season and Bob heart Abishola.