Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Watching The Haunting of Hill House?

I watched the first 2 shows because I thought it looked so good and scary.  I was very disappointed in it and will not be watching any more of it.  Too choppy, too much jumping around, too little explanation --- not for me.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I watched the first 2 shows because I thought it looked so good and scary.  I was very disappointed in it and will not be watching any more of it.  Too choppy, too much jumping around, too little explanation --- not for me.  

I agree ....My daughter told me to watch it and after the first 2 episodes....I  was going to quit.......BUT... I have now watched SIX episodes and it all starts to fit together after the first 2....

It is nothing like the book or the B &W movie "The Haunting" 

So far I think episode 3 was the scariest......

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1

You have to stick with it.  It's a lot of dialogue and very thought provoking, but it all begins to make sense.  I don't want to watch it again, but I was glad I stuck with it. 

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma

It all begins to make sense and then you want to see what happens.  Without spoiling the ending for you - it's  not as scary from here on out.  

Honored Contributor

Is it a story about two sisters and a relative who comes to visit? I remember reading a book in high school by Shirley Jackson about a strange family. I think one girl was named Merricat.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Is it a story about two sisters and a relative who comes to visit? I remember reading a book in high school by Shirley Jackson about a strange family. I think one girl was named Merricat.

@AuntG

No, it's about a family.  There are 5 children and the parents. The ending was sad, but a good end all things considered.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Georgiagrama. After I wrote my question, I was pretty sure I was wrong. The book was We Have Always Lived In The Castle that I read decades go. 

Honored Contributor

I just started watching this, I’ve watched four episodes. I actually watched The Haunting Of Bly Manor ( there is a thread I started) first I didn’t know about this. They are two different stories, it doesn’t matter which one you see first. There are some actors that are in both of the series.

Honored Contributor

I just finished watching this today. I had watched Bly Manor first, while I liked both of them I liked Hill House more.

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

I saw the original movie when I was younger, mind you I had nightmares the rest of the night !!!!

@hayseed00 That old movie and the book cannot be topped!  Both are brilliant!