Super Contributor

Anyone Watching Cinemax's 'Warrior" ?

[ Edited ]

It is on Episode 5 of Season 1 and has been renewed for a 2nd season.

Setting is 1878 San Francisco and Chinatown; addresses in often graphic means the struggles of new Chinese immigrants and the 'Tongs' influence.

The main Character is Ah Sahm, a martial arts prodigy, looking for his sister, now a rival tong leader. He speaks fluent American English, a benefit to his survival and a result of his Eurasian heritage .

Other characters include: Big Bill O'Hara, police sargeant and head of SF police in Chinatown-he is a degenerate gambler, Richard Henry Lee, running from some secret in Savannah, GA, Penny Blake, wife of mayor of SF and paramour to Ah Sahm; Dylan Leary, leader of Irish workingman's movement and Father Jun and Young Jun-ruthless Tong leaders.

This show has been developed by the 50 year old notes and concepts designed by martial arts master Bruce Lee, and made into a reality by BL's daughter, Shannon Lee.

Sets, costuming realistic, some Cantonese dialect w/subtitles.

This is NOT a duplicate of the show series 'KungFu (poorly made, inho).

Warning: Graphic and mature themes.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone Watching Cinemax's 'Warrior" ?

@Maestra1  Thank you for the heads up on this show. I bookmarked it and will check it out. 

Super Contributor

any other Cinemax fans out there?

Super Contributor

It seems that Ah Sahm hasbeen spurned by Penny b/c there can be no future for an interracial couple in 1878, even though Penny is in a miserable marriage

Big turning point coming up: the tongs present their best fighters to 'duel' for the right to control the opium trade in San Fran.

Ah Sahm will square off against Li Yong, a master in martial arts, to fight to the death. Fight choreographer Brett Chan will be pulling out all the stops for this battle.

On another note, Ah Toy's newest 'girl' looks to be an accomplished knife and swordsman.

The Fung Hai tong are still after Bill to collect his gambling debt-something is coming out of this...

Stay tuned.

Note: for mature audiences.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Warrior season finale this Friday, 6/7.

Ah Sahm battled in na death duel w/Li Yong and was losing badly-ready tohave his neck snapped when Bill O'Hara intervenes and saves his life. Mai Ling gave the order to her paramour Li Yong to kill Ah Sahm in the death duel. Both warriors were equally matched in martial art skills.

Penny secretly watched the martial arts battle and goes to visit Ah Sahm later secretly to express that she still cares deeply.

Tongs are at an uneasy truce and Fong Hai tong have attacked Lee and left him for dead i n a Chinatown street as vengeance against Bill-he owes them gambling markers. Mai Ling, Ah Sahm's sister , has now been officially recognized as Long Xi tong leader, after murdering her husband.

Ah Sahm now must recover from his injuries then find a way to make a living , since he cannot work again as an enforcer for the tongs; it seems likely that he may be employed by Penny's father as a 'watchman'?

Ah Toy is still cutting up her enemies and Dylan Leary is as racist as ever against Chinese immigrants.

I still hold out hope for Ah Sahm and Penny as a couple, esp. since Stephen Blake, Penny's husband, is a corrupt, degenerate in most aspects.

Show has been renewed for a Season 2, which is filming now in South Africa.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Maestra1 

Thanks again for the reminder.  I will have to binge watch S1.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

Season 1, Episode 10 tonight 10pm EST.

Finale.

I'll be watching for sure.

Super Contributor

Season 2 preproduction/filming going on now in South Africa and out in 2020.

Bill has dug himself even deeper into trouble; Lee doing better.

Ah Sahm took a new view and attitude toward treatment of Chinese and becoming a warrior in the sense that Bruce Lee intended: as one who stands up for others who cant.

I have a feeling this is going to lead to an epic battle between Leary and Ah Sahm in the future.

Zhing, of tong Fong Hai, flexing his muscles and Mai Ling not feeling it from her new 'partners'.

The producers have left enough up in the air to leave a lot to the imagination.

I hope this series has opened doors and opportunities for lead male, Andrew Koji (who was so discouraged before this he contemplated quitting acting).

He is the only child of Eurasian heritage and his mother is alone. He has expressed how he feels great responsibility caring for her as she becomes older.

Honored Contributor

I finished binge watching this series.  Excellent series w/excellent story lines as well as a few back stories. 

Can't wait for S2 because I would love to see what becomes of the sword practicing virgin Chinese girl working in the Chinese bordello.

I was curious about the lead actor Andrew Koji because he spoke Chinese w/no American accent & when he spoke English, no Chinese accent (except in a few scenes).  So I did a little research......

He is from the UK.  He is 1/2 Japanese & 1/2 English.  Really amazing that he speaks perfect Mandarin & American English dialects right down to the accents.

Amazing actor.  Surprised to find this series has put him on the map as an "actor" at least in the USofA.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif