Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody watching this season's ""Vikings"" show??

On 4/4/2015 tucka said:

pateacher, yes I never saw anything like that ,it was gruesome,Is this series based on actual facts? or a book,what a life ,glad I am here ,but I do love the show.Tucka.

I wouldn't say actual facts, it's based on some skaldic poems and sagas and the writings of Saxo. Plus it's TV, they always take a lot of license. On top of it the writings aren't primary sources but instead are based on oral lore that was written down by Christians after the conversion of the Scandinavians.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

On 4/3/2015 pateacher said:

I know that the writers are attempting to be historically accurate, but I'm getting bogged down with the subplots. The last episode ranged from Paris, to Wessex, Mercia, and Kattagat.

Do you believe that Ragnar fathered a child by the poisoner queen of Mercia? I don't think a child provides the queen any protection from Ragnar. Also, I expect Aslaug is again pregnant. Ragnar is sure to question the paternity of that child.

I agree that the scenes are very violent, but I am guessing killing with those axes would be particularly gruesome. Quite shocked that children and women were annihilated along with the men.

Tucka, I cannot watch the Blood Eagle segment. Just the description of the ceremony scared the daylights out of me.

I remember that the visitor (Thor?) telling Flokie's wife that he had been in Mercia's kingdom and had relations with her many times. He said that she had a son named Magnum and he was sure it was his. I was waiting for Aslaug to be pregnant. I don't care for her too much.

Respected Contributor

On 4/4/2015 pateacher said: The show has been renewed for another season.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/6/2015 Wiskota said:

I know that the writers are attempting to be historically accurate, but I'm getting bogged down with the subplots. The last episode ranged from Paris, to Wessex, Mercia, and Kattagat.

Do you believe that Ragnar fathered a child by the poisoner queen of Mercia? I don't think a child provides the queen any protection from Ragnar. Also, I expect Aslaug is again pregnant. Ragnar is sure to question the paternity of that child.

I agree that the scenes are very violent, but I am guessing killing with those axes would be particularly gruesome. Quite shocked that children and women were annihilated along with the men.

Tucka, I cannot watch the Blood Eagle segment. Just the description of the ceremony scared the daylights out of me.

I remember that the visitor (Thor?) telling Flokie's wife that he had been in Mercia's kingdom and had relations with her many times. He said that she had a son named Magnum and he was sure it was his. I was waiting for Aslaug to be pregnant. I don't care for her too much.

Am sure that is going to happen...will Ragnar be upset! She really doesn't have much of a personality...

Respected Contributor

On 4/7/2015 corita said:

Am sure that is going to happen...will Ragnar be upset! She really doesn't have much of a personality...

Agree!! I never understood how Ragnar let Lagertha go so he could be with Aslaug.

Honored Contributor

The visitors name was Harbard and he is supposed to be Odin.

Valued Contributor

Why do I seem to remember Habard's son being in Russia, not Mercia.

Not that I trust my memory on anything, but I think I remember Russia.

Honored Contributor

Maybe we're referring to two different characters? I thought you meant the mystery man that showed up in Kattegat and had an affair with Aslaug.

Valued Contributor

Checked the video of "Scarred" on the History Channel.

Harbard says his son, Olav, is the Grand Duke of Kiev.

Not sure how Russia can/will be incorporated into the series.

Respected Contributor

I watch!

I have a feeling Flokie (sp) is gonna get it soon! Ragnar is peeved that the priest was murdered by Flokie and if it's one thing Ragnar has, it's patience.