Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Anybody watch House Hunters?

[ Edited ]

I've watched this show for years and still enjoy it. I still laugh at the women with their list of "must haves"...stainless steel appliances... "...but the stove is electric. I have to have a gas stove!" So buy a new stove! Ha! "Oh! I love all the windows in this master bedroom! There's so much light!" Ummm... Why do they want a lot of light in their bedroom? Isn't it mainly for sleeping? 

As l said... I still enjoy the show! I get some ideas of how to place some furniture and other tips. I've known for a few years they buy their home before the show and it's scripted but it's still fun to watch! I enjoy House Hunters International also...and Love It or List It. Those two are hilarious together!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mary Bailey wrote:

My sister knew a co-worker that was on House Hunters.  He told her that he'd already bought the house.

I'd read that here first and mentioned it to her. That's when she told me what her co-worker said to her.

Even so, I like to see the houses.  DH & I just make fun of the spoiled buyers. 

A relative on my husband's side was on HH.  She's very artsy and as a girl in her 30s has a partner a good 30 years older.  She bought a house in the Seattle area.  The Realtor had a connection with HH.  They thought this girl would make for good TV.

After she purchased her house and HH decided to use her on the show, the realtor found 2 other properties.  She was given a script of things to say and filming began.  Some scenes were filmed a number of times.

Yes, this reality show is most definitely scripted!

Respected Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

My sister knew a co-worker that was on House Hunters.  He told her that he'd already bought the house.

I'd read that here first and mentioned it to her. That's when she told me what her co-worker said to her.

Even so, I like to see the houses.  DH & I just make fun of the spoiled buyers. 

A relative on my husband's side was on HH.  She's very artsy and as a girl in her 30s has a partner a good 30 years older.  She bought a house in the Seattle area.  The Realtor had a connection with HH.  They thought this girl would make for good TV.

After she purchased her house and HH decided to use her on the show, the realtor found 2 other properties.  She was given a script of things to say and filming began.  Some scenes were a number of times.

Yes, this reality show is most definitely scripted!

@lulu1 And so is that other show, Beachfront Bargain Hunt or whatever it's called.  "Realtiy" isn't reality!!  LOL!

Valued Contributor

I've watched House Hunters from the very beginning, and I wasn't surprised when I found out that it was scripted, and that one of the houses being toured had already been bought by the so-called "Hunters"

I actually prefer HH International, because I get to "travel" to other countries, without all of the costs, stress and airport drama (LOL)

Plus, I find the architecture, culture, sights, and food shown during the program to be fascinating and entertaining.

What irks me most of all, however, is when the couples from America complain about every little thing that's "Not like it is in the U.S." - I wanna scream at the TV, "Why didn't you do your "homework" before deciding to move to another country?!"

But then, I calm down and realize that those asinine remarks are all probably a part of the "script" Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I watch this show all the time.it cracks me up,when ppl whine they don't like the granite, or popcorn ceilings are outdated,or appliances are not stainless ect,ect.get real!these ppl must have wonderful jobs in order to spend 6 and 7  hundred thou on a home

Honored Contributor

I much prefer the international ones.

What I find interesting is the lack of compatibility of the couples. They don't  even agree on location, style of house, or budget. Their entire lives are nothing but compromise. I can't think anyone could enjoy living like that.

Respected Contributor

Agree with you Northie! Some of the young ladies demand ... " must have granite and stainless steel". What happened to a starter home and saving for the upgrades? Kinda annoying-