Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody watch House Hunters?

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Let's not forget, the house has to have "character".  To me that means old with a lot of repairs in the near future.

@Mmsfoxxie - LOL!  That cracks me up every time I hear someone insist on a home with "character".  Especially, homes abroad.  I immediately think "Yeah, just wait till you find that home with character.  Old, cramped, needing repair...but, boy, does it have character!"

And most of the time, after seeing a home with "character" they decide they don't want that at all.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've loved watching HH and HHI for years.  It's great for me before going to bed as it's entertaining and watching the news will keep me up for hours with all the bad news.  LOL!  

I'm always shocked when the people say they want an older home "with character" but yet it needs an "open concept" for entertaining.  Let's not forget these homes need a walk-in closet with a huge master bathroom with double sinks, a huge shower with a stand alone tub off the master bedroom.  Of course the kitchen needs to be completely updated with all original hardwoods stained to the perfect color for the buyers.   So they don't really want an older home, but rather they want an exterior of an older home with the interior of a new home.  

Regular Contributor

I  believe every reality show is scripted or they are told to help create drama. This "drama" is what gets people to watch. 

Respected Contributor

All the "reality" shows are scripted. 

Trusted Contributor

This show should make you appreciate how difficult a Realtor's job really is. People are very unrealistic.

Honored Contributor

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

This show should make you appreciate how difficult a Realtor's job really is. People are very unrealistic.

@RealtyGal2  The show is fake. They've already purchased their home and are given two other ones to look at and critique. Sometimes one of those homes is the one the realtor lives in. 

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Let's not forget, the house has to have "character".  To me that means old with a lot of repairs in the near future.

@Mmsfoxxie - LOL!  That cracks me up every time I hear someone insist on a home with "character".  Especially, homes abroad.  I immediately think "Yeah, just wait till you find that home with character.  Old, cramped, needing repair...but, boy, does it have character!"

And most of the time, after seeing a home with "character" they decide they don't want that at all.

@Venezia @As a fan of old houses, and an owner of one ,I must disagree. I don't have any more repairs than many of the folks with newer homes. I hate homes that look like everyone else's . Older homes have beautiful woodwork and floors, and except for the lack of closets, I love older homes.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I still like these shows.  Even though it's fake, they are still looking at a couple of houses and we see the decision, although it's after the fact.  I really don't care.

Love It or List It is also highly fake but I still like that show as well.

Honored Contributor

Older homes have quality construction with hardwood and plaster rather than pine and plywood. Oak is acidic so black mold, which can infiltrate newer homes, can't  grow.

Valued Contributor

Stopped watching when they had the 'thropple" couple on. I think that was the term they used. Turned me off.