Respected Contributor

Any Vera Stanhope mystery fans?

[ Edited ]

Love the mystery series VERA, but only have PBS to receive Vera, so always several seasons behind.

My local PBS just started the series again With Season 8 this week, so perhaps this Fall will start showing the more recent seasons?

In any event, I just found this fabulous tee shirt, with a favorite Vera saying:

vera.png

(Small business, design by a woman.)

I might wear it under a couture blazer, with heels, to lecture.

Super Contributor

Re: Any Vera Stanhope mystery fans?

I've read all the Vera books and enjoy the series on PBS. I think the actress who plays her is exactly as I imagined Vera.  I subscribe to Britbox and watched all 12 seasons.  The cost of streaming is very reasonable. I like your new tee shirt.  Wear ii in good health.

Honored Contributor

I love Vera!  I'm watching Season 12 on Britbox but will still watch the reruns on PBS when shown.  Love the t-shirt too.   

Respected Contributor

@JCath 

I did just pre-order Ann Cleeves new book, released in July I think:

risingTide.jpg

Super Contributor

I haven't read this one yet.  I like to order the paperback edition.  That won't be published until July. Darn!  There is also a new e-book but I don't have Kindle. It is "THe Woman on the Island",

Set before The Rising Tide, Vera goes on a day trip to Holy Island, eager to escape the pressures of work. When there she is reminded of the day decades earlier when she, as a teenager, went with her father Hector on another day trip, and the mystery woman he met there . . .

Vera already knew then that Hector kept secrets, but this time the fledgling investigator was determined to find the truth, never realizing it would mean taking her first step onto a path to becoming a detective . . .

Respected Contributor

Thanks.  I'll have to check this out.

Valued Contributor

We LOVE Vera at our house, and watch on Britbox. The series just gets better and better.

Got to get that tee-shirt for my daughter and me!

I also read all the Vera books -- plus the Shetland series.

Respected Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

We LOVE Vera at our house, and watch on Britbox. The series just gets better and better.

Got to get that tee-shirt for my daughter and me!

I also read all the Vera books -- plus the Shetland series.

@zitawins 

I think you will adore the t-shirt. I know I will. Mine is being shipped now!

The newest book, as someone noted, is OUT now, but not in paperback yet, so I have it on pre-order for July (RISING TIDE).

I just found one I hadn't read that I think came just before it, DARKEST EVENING:

DarkestEvening.jpg

Does anyone know if this has already been on TV (if so, which Season, which episode?).

Regular Contributor

Love VERA.  I've been bingeing on Britbox when I have time but I haven't read the books.  There are always so many twists and turns to the mysteries.  Casting and acting is great.  Love the shirt, Pet.

Super Contributor

Darkest Evening was the final episode of Vera on Britbox, season 12, episode 4.  They made some minor changes( for example, in the book there is a giant blizzard but in the video version it's a terrible rain event).  I also like Ann Cleeves' Shetland books.  She has said that she will not write any more books in that series, but someone will write additional episodes for the videos.  Some of the Vera shows are based on her books, while other episodes have been written in her style.