Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another show Lost to Discovery +

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner    I guess I won't be watching because I'm not subscribing to Discovery+. 

@Kachina624 US either!  We have been nickled and dimed to death with this stuff.  Time to call a halt to it. 

@Sooner 

And while you've been getting nickled and dimed to death I've been getting five dollar billed to death.

Trusted Contributor

I had watched the first episode of the new Design Stars on HGTV a few weeks ago and kept looking and looking for the succeeding episodes. I finally realized they are being shown on Discovery + so I obviously will not be watching them. We already pay enough for Dish without adding more expense to the TV watching experience. I was a bit surprised by this bait and switch technique. 

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Trusted Contributor

@Bibione wrote:

I love Discovery Plus. I can watch entire seasons of my favorite shows. No commercials.

Same here.

Honored Contributor

this should be no surprise to anyone who wanted to "cut the cords."

we have kept our xfinitly cable services because we love the variety, but if they are losing customers and the channels that get paid by them are losing money, then they have to make it up somehow. you will be finding more and more channels you have to pay for and less and less channels that you will find for "free."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

After reading some of the posts thinking I may cancel Netflix - which we seem to use less and less - and try Discovery+ instead hmmm just a thought.

Honored Contributor

One thing that bothers me with all the Discovery + commercials is the very end of the commercial. They have Discovery + on the screen and tiny printing underneath. On some commercials the tiny printing is one line long and some commercials it is 5 lines long.

It is only on the screen for a few seconds so I never have read or been able to read what it says.

But that bothers me. They are putting something on the screen and there is no way for you to read what it says, unless you were to pause it. I think that is sneaky. And are they trying to hide something.

I find myself watching less and less Discovery shows so it is an easy decision for me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm satisfied with my cable company and am definitely NOT signing up for any of the streaming services....most of the shows dont even interest me....And those Satellite companies (Dish & Direct TV) have always lost or threatened to lose channels..... 

Don't blame cable, all these channels going with streaming services are happening because people are CUTTING THE CORD ..... The networks have found a way to survive and make money with the cordless set....When you think about adding these streaming channels (Discovery +, ESPN +, Apple TV, HBO Max, Quibi, Paramount, Peacock Premium) $5 here, $7 there $10 there, $15 here....pretty soon cord cutting will cost as much as cable ever did.....Woman Frustrated

Live TV streaming is simply television carried over the internet instead of using traditional cable or satellite connections. Live TV streaming is different from cable and satellite because livestreaming TV providers simply use an app on a streaming device (like RokuApple TV, or Amazon Fire TV) instead of a physical receiver or DVR box. One less piece of equipment on the shelf.

There's live TV streaming, the operative word is “live”—it’s programming that’s being broadcast right now on TV networks. It’s the same as cable or satellite, just streamed through the internet.

Then there's “On demand” which means shows and movies which can be called-up whenever you want to watch them—as with Netflix, the biggest on-demand platform on the planet (well, that and YouTube). Shows recorded with a physical or cloud DVR could also technically be called “on demand.”

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Regular Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Just a few weeks ago my cable/internet/land line which are bundled went up $12 a month. And we lost The Weather Channel to boot where I didn't watch the weather as much as I watched a couple of shows they have on. Two of which were actually about tow truckers during bad storms way up north. Yep, that's what I watched. In it's place we now have an Accu Weather Channel.  

This isn't the first time I've lost channels I watched. It always has to do with a $$$ dispute of course. 

"Highway thru Hell" and "Heavy Rescue 401"  --  lots of fun to watch.  @shaggygirl sorry that you lost these shows on tv but they do show the videos also on YouTube.  Just search the show titles on YouTube.  There is a subscription required -- I don't know what that involves but check it out and see if it is something that works for you!

Regular Contributor

@Bibione wrote:

I love Discovery Plus. I can watch entire seasons of my favorite shows. No commercials.

@Bibione Question:  Is it true that there are some Discovery channel shows that are not on Discovery+ but only on cable?  My understanding is that there are some shows that are only airing right now on the cable tv discovery channels and may later -- after the "season" of that show is over -- they will appear on Discovery+.  Is that your experience?

Esteemed Contributor

So all the people who are "cutting the cord", it's their fault that we have all the streaming services. (j/k, maybe.) 

Networks have to make money somehow. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain