Esteemed Contributor

Another show Lost to Discovery +

Another one bites the dust. Saw an ad for the opener of the new season of Deadliest Catch......ON DISCOVERY +

I've only been watching it since the beginning of time, or maybe it just seems that way. 

Ticks me off. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Another show Lost to Discovery +

NO! 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Did you check On Demand?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

NO! 

@Kachina624 

After posting I did some googling. I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly but I think maybe just maybe some season opener already debuted on the 19th of this month on + but the actual show debuts on regular Discovery on April 20th. 

Hhmm, we shall see.

Esteemed Contributor

If it was going to be on On Demand it wouldn't be showing up yet. But I don't think any of the Discovery +  shows will be on there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the FCC needs to take a close look at these streaming services.  There something very wrong about a production company suddenly forcing viewer to pay separately to watch a show they've watched for years through their cable or satellite subscription.  It's almost like blackmail;  "you pay us a fee or we're going to cut you off of your favorite program."   They're holding programming hostage.

Maybe we should all start filing complaints with the FCC. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I saw a show advertised on Ina Garten's Instagram this AM. It was Ina and Melissa McCarthy making cocktails, I got excited till I saw it starts streaming Friday on Discovery +.  My loss, but I refuse to spend one more dime on streaming.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

NO! 

@Kachina624 

After posting I did some googling. I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly but I think maybe just maybe some season opener already debuted on the 19th of this month on + but the actual show debuts on regular Discovery on April 20th. 

Hhmm, we shall see.

That's what I see too.

"The first new episode debuts on the streaming service first, with the Season 17 premiere available on Friday, March 19. It will then premiere on Discovery on Tuesday, April 20, at 8/7c."

I wonder if this is what they are doing with the Expedition Unknown special that Josh Gates just did with Back to the Future.  I actually have +, but I thought it was pretty crummy that his show was only being shown there rather than on the channel everyone had been watching all this time! I can't help it - I just like to watch the regular channels for some shows - keeps me on a schedule LOL.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  I think you are right on! 

Just curious........

Although I do not use "streaming services" unless they are FREE through my FS, did all these "new" streaming services pop up during the Pandemic or before?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac  I imagine something to this extent takes years of planning and not just a few months.  I just googled and saw that Discovery Plus first launched in India in March 2020, almost a year before the US.

All of the streaming services aren't in response to Covid, but rather (IMO) to all the people cutting the cord to cable, which well preceded the pandemic.