Super Contributor

Another Spielberg Stab At Possible TV Success

Speilberg's Futuristic Thriller EXTANT Stars Halle Berry

While undeniably accomplished as an OSCAR-winning feature film producer and director, Steven Spielberg's previous small screen efforts, except for Under The Dome, have bombed Big Time (Smash; Terra Nova).

He's trying TV again; this time as Executive Producer of Extant, starring Academy Award-winner Halle Berry. This 13-episode sci-fi thriller, which sounds a lot like Alien, premieres July 9th 9-10 PM ET on CBS.

The plot centers upon a female astronaut who's attempting to reconnect with her family after returning from a year in outer space. Her experiences lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history.

Camryn Manheim, formerly of The Practice, co-stars as Berry's best friend and closest confidante, while Looper's Pierce Gagnon portrays Berry's son. Extant also stars Goran Visnjic and Hiroyuki Sanada.

It's getting a big promotional push, starting with the recent release of a :10 trailer, which unfortunately has been pulled from You Tube and other websites.

Undoubtedly CBS hopes that ratings-wise, its space-based female astronaut-in-jeop thriller, Extant, will be out of this world.

(Source: tvseriesfinale.com)

UNDER THE DOME - S2 Launches June 30th @ 10 PM ET - CBS

UNDER THE DOME returns for its sophomore season on Monday, June 30 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT). The premiere episode will be written by Stephen King, whose bestselling novel the series is based on. UNDER THE DOME was last summer’s #1 program, averaging 15.06 million viewers and 3.9/11 in adults 18-49, ranking as the most-watched scripted summer series in 21 years.

UNDER THE DOME tells the story of a small town that is suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome. The town’s inhabitants must deal with surviving the post-apocalyptic conditions while searching for answers to what this barrier is, where it came from, and if and when it will go away.

Respected Contributor

Re: Another Spielberg Stab At Possible TV Success

I still remember a TV Movie of the Week he produced--""Duel""--over 40 years ago. One of his first (if not THE first) professional venture.

What worries you masters you.
Super Contributor

Oh, Moonlady, yes, I remember it. Spielberg directed Duel, starring Dennis Weaver in his pre-McCloud days and it was fantastic for a small screen effort from a neophyte director. Duel was a 1971 made-for-TV movie, a 2 1/2-week shoot done on a shoe-string budget (estimated at $450,000), that probably wouldn't cover the cost of paper clips on one of Spielberg's current blockbusters.
Respected Contributor

I plan on watching Extant, it sounds interesting.

If Extant is successful, will they give it another 13 episode run next summer, just like they're doing with Under the Dome? I'm kind of surprised that Halle Berry is doing TV, but I guess her movie career hasn't been doing so well lately.

I will NOT be watching Under the Dome this summer. I read and loved the book (except the ending) and watched the mini-series last summer. I didn't like the way the series deviated so far from the book. The 'cliff hanger' was especially stupid.

I'm glad that networks are starting to put new shows/mini-series on in the summer when there's nothing else to watch.

Respected Contributor

On 4/5/2014 Moonlady said: I still remember a TV Movie of the Week he produced--""Duel""--over 40 years ago. One of his first (if not THE first) professional venture.

I was around 12 or so when Duel was on TV. Such a great movie!!

It's a perfect example of making a tense and riveting movie.

Super Contributor

Tessa Ferrer Joins CBS's Extant
Trusted Contributor

The premise sounds good but I just don't like HB at all as an actress. She is truly sweet and beautiful, no doubt, but her acting is really one-dimensional. I watched the movie she received the Oscar for and to this day I wonder how she won or even got a recognition and nomination. Just me I guess. I may skip this show.

I did like Terra Nova once it got off the ground and wish they had given it more time.

Doesn't Spielberg also do "Falling Skies" as well? That's interesting.

Respected Contributor

On 4/11/2014 FlowershopGirl said:

The premise sounds good but I just don't like HB at all as an actress. She is truly sweet and beautiful, no doubt, but her acting is really one-dimensional. I watched the movie she received the Oscar for and to this day I wonder how she won or even got a recognition and nomination. Just me I guess. I may skip this show.

I did like Terra Nova once it got off the ground and wish they had given it more time.

Doesn't Spielberg also do "Falling Skies" as well? That's interesting.

I watched a couple episodes of Terra Nova but didn't like it all that much to stick with it.

On the other hand, I love Falling Skies. And yes, Spielberg is executive producer.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the scoop! I will give Extant (strange name) a shot.

Super Contributor

On 4/6/2014 lmt said:
On 4/5/2014 Moonlady said: I still remember a TV Movie of the Week he produced--"Duel"--over 40 years ago. One of his first (if not THE first) professional venture.

I was around 12 or so when Duel was on TV. Such a great movie!!

It's a perfect example of making a tense and riveting movie.

It was great, but really annoying, too. I remember when it was over, my dad and I looked at each other, saying "That's it?" {#emotions_dlg.laugh}