Respected Contributor

Re: Another Home Town on HGTV

@10sluvr  I watch Hometown. I was once watching one of their shows where they recap the show and talk about background. They mentioned every house they work on gets new electrical wiring, heating, and air conditioning. Every home is inspected. As a matter of fact they redid part of a house where one of the people who inspects some of their houses lives.

Honored Contributor

Laurel is such a small town, I believe the population is under 50,000... They must also work on surrounding areas, as I wouldn't think there would be enough with a town that small. 

It does look like a very cute place to live though, but I wonder about jobs, schools, etc......I enjpoy Hometown, and I think both Ben and Erin do a great job without going overboard......

Respected Contributor

I watch it on Discovery +. I like the earlier episodes better. 
I did some research on Laurel, and it's not as it's presented on tv. There's a lot of crime and a high poverty rate. 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline ...............I dont want to spoil it for anyone who will watch it later.  But the tears are happy tears.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Judaline ...............I dont want to spoil it for anyone who will watch it later.  But the tears are happy tears.

That's ok. I get the gist of the show. Thanks

Trusted Contributor

@deeva @TwinSister @EarthAngelInTraining I watch Home Town and really enjoy it as I do most of the shows on this network. As for the town, I had some cousins who visited Laurel. It is a very small town with quite a bit of poverty and "not so pretty" they said.

My family was very surprised. However, once you know this you can see it when they air the episodes @deeva . I guess I didn't pay much attention before but after hearing that this town needs a lot of renovation I definitely see it now. Watch closely and you can see it. 

Hopefully Ben and Erin can continue their show long enough to make an impact on the appearance of their town.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deeva wrote:

I watch it on Discovery +. I like the earlier episodes better. 
I did some research on Laurel, and it's not as it's presented on tv. There's a lot of crime and a high poverty rate. 

@deeva 

I still watch the show, but a few years ago I was so caught up with the show, that I even considered for a hot minute retiring there in several years. I had a good girlfriend ask me if I was crazy. It's the south, the humidity, the bugs, all of things which I hate. So I came back down to  reality. 

I would still like to visit Laurel. 

Valued Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I record their shows and watched it last night.  WOW!  What a fantastic show and another tear jerker.

I'm curious. What's this show actually about? And why the tears? thnx

This past Sundays show, Ben & Erin redid a home that a family had lived in for quite some time - they had raised 9 kids in it. Almost 3 years ago there was a tornado that went through Laurel and this house was hit by a tree that took out part of the roof - sounds like maybe the family didn't have insurance on the house as they hadn't been able to get it fixed and because it was sitting there for some time had water damage inside along with termites and things.