Trusted Contributor

Re: Anne Heche , something that has not

@jubilant wrote:

I do empathize with those who are addicted so believe me when I say, I do hurt for Anne and her family.  I come from a different point of view on what the definition of a disease is.  Once they are told it is a disease it is as if they feel they are not responsible for it.  After all, no one asks to get cancer, kidney failure, heart failure, etc.  We desperately try to avoid those.

Your premise is juggling apples and oranges. I believe the afflicted know exactly what disease they are battling. The various diseases are not lumped into one basket by any thinking person I have heard of.

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa   She stil  deserves respect.  No one is perfect the journey is harder for some.  May she rest in peace.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Addiction is one of the nastiest diseases because it breaks down the brain, the mind, the psyche, as well as the body. It is not treatable by even surgery, chemo, drugs. Healing can only occur in minute increments and treatment of a wounded brain takes a lifetime of vigilence.

Valued Contributor

I have sympathy for her children but I just don't have no sympathy for her!! I mean, she made a choice to do drugs then get into vehicle. She could have killed innocent people!!! I realize that drug abuse is an addiction, but she had more availability of resources than most. If she had wanted the help, she should have gotten it. Furthermore, not just for her, but anybody, if you're gonna do drugs- why must you get into a vehicle and drive??? 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Glitter51 wrote:

I have sympathy for her children but I just don't have no sympathy for her!! I mean, she made a choice to do drugs then get into vehicle. She could have killed innocent people!!! I realize that drug abuse is an addiction, but she had more availability of resources than most. If she had wanted the help, she should have gotten it. Furthermore, not just for her, but anybody, if you're gonna do drugs- why must you get into a vehicle and drive??? 

I agree to your point, and although I am forgiving toward Anne Heche, the impaired need to have the cognition of the dangers of driving a car and draw the line at that. I have no answer for that. At least nobody was physically hurt here except Anne, and the victims seem to have more than adequate resources going forward.

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

This is truely a sad story for Anne, her family, and the other people who are affected by her death.  

I personally don't believe alcoholism is a disease. It is a choice. I honestly think it hurts an alcoholic to be taught that. If that's true then those addicted to anything...sugar, coffee, whatever.... have a disease.  

It is a disease @jubilant that is why insurance covers treatment. It's complex in nature. Nobody chooses addiction. It starts out voluntary, then the brain adapts so fast you can't control it. Even if an addict wants to stop it is difficult. 

As for the addiction to sugar you are right it does produce changes in the cells just like cocaine, but not at the same rate. 

@manny2  I am aware that it has been called a disease for many years. Imo, just because insurance pays for it doesn't make it a disease. I  have a nephew who committed suicide 2 yrs. ago on Christmas day.  He took drugs and was an alcoholic. He did choose to stop at one point in his life and was doing well until he decided to go back to his same drinking buddies who also drank too much.  If only he had chosen not to. 

He did choose to stop in the only way he knew how to do at that moment. You must have compassion for that.

@FLgardener   Of course I have compassion for that.  I still loved him as much as I always did and I will always love him.  When he was sober he was such a great guy.