Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anne Heche , something that has not

There is a difference between addiction and disease. Addiction is (medicine) a state that is characterized by compulsive drug use or compulsive engagement in rewarding behavior despite negative consequences. Disease is (pathology)an abnormal condition of the body or mind that causes discomfort or dysfunction; distinct from injury insofar as the latter is usually instantaneously acquired. 

So when we speak, there is a difference in the meaning between addiction and disease. Anne Heche was an addict. It is sad that the people that love and support you can do very little until they admit to having a problem. Her life will be remembered with sadness and tragedy. She is now at peace with all her demons. 

As far as the other woman who lost her home, it is beyond sad that she did nothing wrong and suffered the consequences of Anne's poor life choices. Hopefully, she will be able to move on with her life and animals in tow.

Honored Contributor

A beautiful and talented lady.  So very sad.

Ann and James Tupper

Anne Heche and James Tupper

Trusted Contributor

Very sad for all involved. I wish AH had been able to get the help she desperately needed. Mental illness is so complex. I'm sure she would rather have lived her life without it.

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

So tragic in so many ways.  I saw the video of the person who lived in the house.  She seems very grateful.  Sad and tragic all over.  For the woman and her animals, for Anne’s family and loved ones, especially for her boys.  

Some may never understand the true effects mental illness.  

I believe the owner of the house started a go fund me page for her tenant.  I thought that was nice.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@elated wrote:

There is a difference between addiction and disease. Addiction is (medicine) a state that is characterized by compulsive drug use or compulsive engagement in rewarding behavior despite negative consequences. Disease is (pathology)an abnormal condition of the body or mind that causes discomfort or dysfunction; distinct from injury insofar as the latter is usually instantaneously acquired. 

So when we speak, there is a difference in the meaning between addiction and disease. Anne Heche was an addict. It is sad that the people that love and support you can do very little until they admit to having a problem. Her life will be remembered with sadness and tragedy. She is now at peace with all her demons. 

As far as the other woman who lost her home, it is beyond sad that she did nothing wrong and suffered the consequences of Anne's poor life choices. Hopefully, she will be able to move on with her life and animals in tow.

@elated Anne also suffered from mental illness, which is a disease.  At least half of all people with mental illness develop some sort of addiction along the way.  RIP Anne

Honored Contributor

Well as we all probably know now, Ms Heche died.

I hope this is the end of this story for the sake of her 2 sons.

I can't imagine how they must feel.

Like many of you have said, May she Rest In Peace".

Honored Contributor

She really wasn't famous anymore so paparazzi were not following her every move.  I'm sure this wasn't her first tumble off the sobriety wagon.  Although, tragically it was the last.  It was a blessing that no one else was hurt or killed.  My heart breaks for her boys.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

This is truely a sad story for Anne, her family, and the other people who are affected by her death.  

I personally don't believe alcoholism is a disease. It is a choice. I honestly think it hurts an alcoholic to be taught that. If that's true then those addicted to anything...sugar, coffee, whatever.... have a disease.  

Esteemed Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

@MW in Iowa wrote:

@pupwhipped wrote:

I'm going to come down hard here. Sorry. What she did a week ago speaks for itself. And it speaks volumes.

She could have killed multiple people...even beloved pets of the woman whose home she barreled into. People relapse and take cocaine or overdose on other drugs and unfortunately are found dead in their homes or some hotel. That's bad/sad enough but at least they don't harm others.

What Anne Heche did was criminal. All the particulars in her case are disturbing. Even in the midst of the episode, when she first hit the apartment garage, it was reported she had people trying to help her. She refused. Very, very disturbing indeed. 😯

Nobody will argue , that being said , could she paid a bigger price ? I am so glad no one  else was killlled , but i always hold out hope we can turn our life around.

@MW in Iowa, I appreciate what you are saying and this incident is certainly very sad and tragic. But for whatever reason the price she paid was one she seemed hell bent on paying. There was time for her to turn back after the two previous collisions she caused within a thirty minute or so time frame...but she kept at it with even more intensity and determination! And the total disregard for the lives she could destroy along with her own is shocking. Oh, and not to mention the sorrow and devastation she's now brought to her own children.  Again, extraordinarily sad and tragic on so many levels. Woman Sad          

@pupwhipped wrote:

@MW in Iowa wrote:

@pupwhipped wrote:

I'm going to come down hard here. Sorry. What she did a week ago speaks for itself. And it speaks volumes.

She could have killed multiple people...even beloved pets of the woman whose home she barreled into. People relapse and take cocaine or overdose on other drugs and unfortunately are found dead in their homes or some hotel. That's bad/sad enough but at least they don't harm others.

What Anne Heche did was criminal. All the particulars in her case are disturbing. Even in the midst of the episode, when she first hit the apartment garage, it was reported she had people trying to help her. She refused. Very, very disturbing indeed. 😯

Nobody will argue , that being said , could she paid a bigger price ? I am so glad no one  else was killlled , but i always hold out hope we can turn our life around.

@MW in Iowa, I appreciate what you are saying and this incident is certainly very sad and tragic. But for whatever reason the price she paid was one she seemed hell bent on paying. There was time for her to turn back after the two previous collisions she caused within a thirty minute or so time frame...but she kept at it with even more intensity and determination! And the total disregard for the lives she could destroy along with her own is shocking. Oh, and not to mention the sorrow and devastation she's now brought to her own children.  Again, extraordinarily sad and tragic on so many levels. Woman Sad          

If she was lucid @pupwhipped she would have stopped with the first collision. It is tragic for everyone involved. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@elated wrote:

@elated   I have to disagree that addiction is not a disease.

Addiction has been classified as an illness by the AMA in 1957.  The AMA reclassified addiction with the term "disease" along with other medical organizations.

Addiction is a chronic disease since it is not cured but only managed.

Addiction affects the way an organ functions-the brain.   We have other chronic disease which affect different organs.

By classifying addiction as a chronic disease, the stigma and misunderstanding surrounding those with addictions has aided in developing methods to manage those addictions and opened up pathways to help and understanding for the addict.

There are also studies which explore the nature of addiction-who is likely to succumb to drugs/alcohol/behaviors such as sexual addiction and the better methods to deal with each type of addiction.

SUD (substance use disorder) includes physical dependency (withdrawal, cravings e.g.) along with other issues compounding the disorder such as risk taking, socio/relationships, etc.

Since addictions do involve brain dysfunction, the brain as an organ can be included in classifying addiction as a disease.  There are also the secondary diseases that develop from substance abuse such as liver damage and neurological disorders.

Whether treatment includes the term "disease" or "SUD"-the primary purpose is to remove the stigma and develop the most appropriate treatment plan for the individual.

I wouldn't classify Anne Heche either way since I never treated her but a discussion regarding addiction is pertinent to the tragedy.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh